Thread: 45 ACP Brass

Default 45 ACP Brass

I've started working through a little over 5K pieces of range brass, and am finding many new names.
    I'm already cross eyed from separating the names.
    What brands have small primers that also need to be watched for? http://www.jouster.com/forums/images...on_scratch.gif

Don't know about the headstamps but you should be able to tell a large primer from a small one just by looking. If I pick up any with a small primer pocket the head for the scrap bucket.

3. Default

I don't think I've ever seen a small primer 45 ACP cartridge. I have some British .455 Eley rimmed revolver cartridges that have small primers. I'm guessing .455 auto cartridges would also.

I have picked up several small primer 45acp brass at the range. I do not remember the headstamp but they are out there and quite common.

Winchester for sure and I think I have seen some Federal using small pistol primers. Most of these have been in what they call "Green" ammo as they contain no lead in the primers and the bullet is encapsulated.

6. Default

Like Tuna, I have seen both Winchester and Federal .45 ACP cases with small primers.

Walmart was selling Federals , before everything went scarse , with small primers. They were in a brownish red box marked "FMJ "s , but were really "TMJ" s . I bought several thousand of them. Shot fine and didn't notice the small primers till I tried to reload. Nothing " wrong " with them except I shoot - tumble - reload them seperate from the large primed brass. Just treat them as a kind -of different caliber. Sorta like having a .45 and a .40 .
    Nowdays , they are kind of a good thing . I can reload .45s with a supply of either small or large pistol primers. I just shoot the ones I have the most primers for.
    Also good when I go out with friends .....they don't want none of my stink'n small brass....and they give me any they fall into .
    Chris