Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Books on the No. 4 Mk* Enfields

If you know of any titles of books on this subject, I'd be grateful if you shared them with me. TY.

The Lee Enfield Story by Ian Skennerton www.skennerton,com
    Not cheap by any means, but it covers EVERYTHING. Also on that website he has pamphlets that cover individual models like the No4 and they are relatively inexpensive

There is a series of books by Charles R. Stratton that covers the Enfield rifles.You want volume 2 that deals with the No.4 and No.5 rifles.They are a handy size and not too expensive.

There is also quite a bit of coverage in "Spirit of the Pike" that goes more into the manufacturing than do the smaller paperbacks.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Skennerton's book is the "Holy Grail" of Enfield books......but it is out=of-print, difficult to find, and EXPENSIVE if you do (local prices start at $100 and go as high as $250 for used copies.....and the last one I saw for sale was 3 years ago at the OGCA Show). Stratton's books are better than a sharp stick in the eye, available, and relatively inexpensive. Not NEARLY the historical and technical detail of Skennerton, but about the best you are realistically going to find. Frankly, there isn't much specifically available on the 4*,,,,,,they were all made in North America are the bulk of the 4's built. The best purely anecdotal information I ever got on the Savage Enfields was a conversation 15-20 years ago with one of the "tour guides" at SANHS (Chicopee Falls is a "suburb" of Springfield Mass.). He worked at the Savage Plant as a youngster and had all kinds of tidnits, particularly the 15 or so train-loads of parts, tools, and semi-completed rifles they sent to Long Branch in late-43/early 44. Interestingly, I ended up with a Long Branch that is a fairly obvious homogenized Savage (the "Flaming Bomb" on the rear of the receiver is kind of a give away!).

skennerton's .303 rifle #4 mk 1 1/2 2 I think is what he was asking for no?

I have it and was very helpful for my savage mk1 no 4's

Stratton is dead and his books have some errors. Skennerton and Laidler post lots on another site and answr questions and discount books. Major Reynolds 200 pg book is free and you can get it online. New book from Laidler comin out soon.

Bottom line is there is no ONE book which covers all. However there are plenty of references to choose from since each author approaches from a slightly different angle. Skennertons works, while not exactly 'reader friendly', are the most comprehensive of the lot. Notice I mentioned "works"...as in plural. Every time he publishes he omits things from previous editions to avoid redundancies. Those take up space, increase the size of the volume and index, and make them more expensive thus tougher to sell.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Just a note. I did not know Skennertons book on the Lee Enfield is out of print, however the Small Arms Identification series pamphlets are still available and they cover quite a bit including exploded parts diagrams.