1. Default WTK: Date of Manufacture on Vintage Weaver and Redfield Scopes?

Does anyone know of a website, book or other resource that could be used to determine the date of manufacture of older steel tube Weaver and Redfield scopes? I am talking 60's, 70's and maybe 80's vintage scopes. I would appreciate any help the group can provide. Thanks.
    "There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

Gun Digest Books has reprinted Nick Stroebel's Old Gunsights and Rifles scopes. I have never seen the original printing (they are really costly) but the reprint does not seem to cover everything but I assume they are the same. He gives manufacturing dates for various models. Reprint is affordable (20-30 bucks). Got mine at a gunshow. Or google GDB.

I take umbrage at the suggestion that 60s, 70s, and 80s is "old" and/or "vintage". ;-) ;-)

Anyway, back issues of the trade catalogs such as Shooters Digest, Stoegers, etc is a vey good source to date stuff. You don't need every issue, just one every few years.

Ray
    Last edited by raymeketa; 03-16-2014 at 10:30.

Looking at vintage advertising for sale on ebay can quickly help you determine the age of certain models. I was able to figure out why a Litschert 12x attachment for a Weaver K6 wouldn't fit mine. Turns out it'll only fit the K6s made in 48 and 49. No caps over their click adjusters. Weaver made their own 8 and 10 powers in 1950. The lens on the K6 got a little bigger and the first version adjustment caps that year too. The Gun Digest Book of Scopes and Mounts, by Bob Bell has some useful info on vintage scopes too.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 04-30-2014 at 02:34.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by raymeketa View Post
    I take umbrage at the suggestion that 60s, 70s, and 80s is "old" and/or "vintage". ;-) ;-)

Anyway, back issues of the trade catalogs such as Shooters Digest, Stoegers, etc is a vey good source to date stuff. You don't need every issue, just one every few years.

Ray
    Most of my new stuff.... is from the 60's & 70's. The "old" are the things that came from my dad, circa 30"s & 40'S.

Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    Most of my new stuff.... is from the 60's & 70's. The "old" are the things that came from my dad, circa 30"s & 40'S.
    Now wait just a minute! I am from the 30-40's! are you saying I am old enough to be your father???