Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default !903 Bolt failures?

Any record of actual Bolt failures for the 1903 rifle. Lots of talk about the receivers but how about the "Bolt"? Thanks for any info....

have a NS bolt that the face chipped from a case head failure..cant imagine a SHT bolt fairing any better
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

3. Default

Yes, there were bolt failures in Hatcher's data.

jt

Thanks for the info. Re: Hatcher's data. Were they numerous and what type of failures. Do not want to be a pain but have two straight bolts and just curious. Thanks again.

The later straight handle bolts were double heat treated. What are the stampings on your bolts and where are they located?

Thanks Fred. Stampings are J5 and D5

The J5 bolt is from Springfield Armory and was made in 1918 and the beginning of 1919. It's double heat treated.
    The D5 bolt is from Springfield Armory and was made in 1915 and early 1916 and is single heat treated.
    Last edited by Fred; 03-14-2014 at 09:37.

Again; Thanks..

Reason for my original question is that I have two rifles with straight bolt handles. The one with the J5 stamped bolt is a Springfield rifle re-built by the Marines at Barstow Ca. in 1944. The other with the D5 stamped bolt is a Rock Island with all correct parts with exception of the Bolt Assembly which is Springfield. all other parts of the bolt are RI. Rifle is mint with a beauty of a stock. I do not believe rifle was ever issued to troops. My limited reading on the rifle leads me to believe that it was sent to Springfield for final assembly when the Rock Island Armory shut down. There are two sets of Inspector initials on the stock: OEL over the date 1919 or 1918 In a square and WES with no date also in a square. Stock also has the fancy "p" and a stamped R I on the forward end of the stock. I guess this comes under the heading of "Useless and Needless to Know Information". Oh yes; finish on the bolt matches the rest of the rifle..

Single heat treat bolt failures were common but not catastrophic. Usually consist of the locking lugs cracking. It was common in the day for match shooters to have a spare bolt in their kit as a cracked locking lug would end the match for them. The military never withdrew them from service and didn't condemn them as unsafe like the low number recievers.

HTH,

Emri