Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Dang! That was a really nice stock, too!

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by 4F4Nam View Post
    Dang! That was a really nice stock, too!

Ed
    Yes it was !

3. Default

Randy:

I agree, sad indeed. I never knew these rifles would be what they are worth today. When I was stationed at Camp Pendleton, CA, my Chief Investigator Mike Spain knew I was setting up at So Cal gun shows and wanted me to help him liquidate several rifles he inherited from his father, Sgt John R. Spain Sr. USMC 41-45. One of the rifles was a 99 type rifle with mum intact and the rifle was about 80% with dust cover. I took it to the Great Western Show in 1989 and had a hard time trying to sell it. I was away from the table and my buddy found a buyer, but I had to deliver it to his home in Ventura, since he had already left the show. Delivered it for $110, and then had to drive all the way back to Fallbrook, CA. The real kick in the pants was when I told Mike about it, he laughed about it and said "I would have thought a battlefield pick up would have brought more than that" I then found out that his dad made the landing at Iwo Jima, and took it off a dead Jap. His dad was also standing about 30 feet from the first flag raising prior to Rosenthal's famous photo.

S/F
    Richard

Richard
    That's the way it goes I have decided to part this one out its non matching anyway. This way I can make a few dollars ( to support my habit ) and maybe someone else can put their rifles back in shooting condition. When someone ask me why I like old guns and military ones in particular I tell them the guns are part of history and I never cease to wonder what their role was in history.