Default Stainless magazine quality???

I just received a couple stainless 45 magazines from those folks up in NY. They are not what I want to stake my life on. So that begs the question; who makes good quality stainless steel 45 magazines? I'm looking at Kimber, Springfield Armory, and Chip McCormick. Are these good magazines?

Your help is appreciated.

2. Default

Wilson Combat magazines are quite popular.

I've had consistently reliable results with both Wilson and Chip McCormick mags.

Best Regards from Virginia,

Chris

Both Wilson and McCormick make good magazines. It is important to remember that regardless who makes them the feed lips on magazines for M1911 type pistols are fragile and subject to damage. Our son, who is very careful with his firearms, carries a Kimber "Pro Carry." He shoots some steel matches with the gun which involves dropping the magazines on the ground. He recently had a Wilson magazine go south on him. Dropped one too many times I guess.

I personally feel it's best to have a couple of magazines you practice with if you're going to be rough on them and some magazines that you're really "nice" to for carry purposes.
    Last edited by Art; 03-12-2014 at 05:05.

Hey Guys, I appreciate the good advice. I've placed an order for several of the Chip McCormick magazines since the two I got from West H. seem to have multiple problems. Thanks again.

6. Default

Dave, In time, I have found all 8 rd magazines with smooth followers (meaning those without the dimple on the follower) to be problematic. That can be avoided by changing out the springs every couple of years but my solution was to strictly use 7 rd hybrid lip magazines (Colt factory magazines and Checkmate aftermarket magazines). Rick

Randall mags are very good if you can find them.
    USMC 1969-1993 6333/8153/9999
    USMC Combat Pistol & Shotgun Instructor
    FBI Rangemaster