Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default How about .458 Socom

Go Big Bore.
    The AR can fire .458 Socom Change the complete Upper.
    I am having great results with this caliber...

Did not think the AR design could handle a cartridge of the 30-06 length.

Besides the BAR, look for a FN49, as far as I know it was the last semi-auto built for the 30-06. Commercial rifles would be the Remington 742 type; larger capacity mags are available and the gun shoots well as a hunting rifle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Model_1949

IF I didn't have M1's and 03's, and desperately wanted a semi automatic .30-06, my first choice would be a Browning BAR Safari, and go from there. They've been around long enough that they've stood the test of time, the ones I've fooled around with (.243, 308, '06, 300 Winchester, and 338 Winchester) have been exceptional shooters, and a guy should be able, with some judicious shopping, to find one for the same, or less cash than it'd take to acquire a 'big' AR.

4. Default

This!

5. Default

[URL="http://www.onlylongrange.com/bn36.asp"]3[/URL
    This!

jcj54,
    Sorry for the delay in seeing your response. Interesting rifle, the BN36. I wonder if anyone out there owns one and could say whether or not to look at it a little harder.
    Thanks.

"Thought the same , even considered the Ohio Ordnance BAR ".

I bought one but it took a little over 1 yr to get it. Very accurate and always draws fellow shooters over. HEAVY AND LONG, but fun to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by joem View Post
    "Thought the same , even considered the Ohio Ordnance BAR ".

I bought one but it took a little over 1 yr to get it. Very accurate and always draws fellow shooters over. HEAVY AND LONG, but fun to shoot.
    joem,
    I have thought about the O.O. BAR but like you said, HEAVY & LONG. Can not afford an original BAR but I've wanted one since watching Kirby back when I was young! Never held or even seen one in real life and besides, full auto isn't something I need or want. Did enough of that back in another life.