Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

According to the documents in the Chief of Ordnance correspondence files maintained by the National Archives, the Army only acquired the 3900 canteen/haversack straps and rifle slings. It may be that Mills manufactured more of the strap-slings for commercial sales or possibly for other U.S. services or even foreign sales. It is obvious that the British M1909 web rifle sling was developed from this project, and interesting to note how much more successful the web strap was in U.K. service. The only documents I researched where those in the Chief of Ordnance correspondence files and there was no indication of any others manufactured by Mills.

Thanks for the added info. They cannot be too common as they seldom show up.

3. Default

The few examples I've seen, including the example I acquired that the brass double hooks had been added probably by Bannerman, all seem to be in unused or unissued condition. My take on this is that when the field trial ended the strap/slings were returned to a stateside arsenal where they were declared obsolete surplus and sold. It is likely Bannerman bought the lot and marketed the unused examples which probably didn't draw much sales. So the examples still in existence are the few that Bannerman sold, are still around, and each one could probably tell a different story. It appears that Bannerman marketed the strap/slings as equipment carrying straps as there is no mention in the sales catalogs of use as small arms slings.

I believe this is a page from a Bannerman catalog in which it is mentioned the straps are for canteen or haversack, and are offered as a set with a canteen.

3-077 172.jpg

It is likely the "C" sling swivels on the rifle M1898 used during the trial, were replaced with standard sling swivels, and were probably discarded locally. The Manila Ordnance Depot reported cleaning and repairing canteens and probably removed the "C" hooks and replaced them with standard triangular loops on serviceable canteens. For my project I would like to photograph an original canteen with the "C" hooks or obtain an image captured at Rock Island Arsenal or in the Philippines of the modified canteen.

Quote Originally Posted by alibi View Post

. . . . It is likely the "C" sling swivels on the rifle M1898 used during the trial, were replaced with standard sling swivels, and were probably discarded locally. . .
    What "C" sling swivels? Did you find a reference to a Krag with special swivels?

5. Default Special swivels for Mills web rifle sling

The document attached is the earliest of 34 pages related to the subject strap-slings that I have. I will send all of the documents to any person interested in reviewing the original correspondence which was located in the National Archives, Record Group 156 (Chief of Ordnance correspondence files), Entry 28, file O.O.36116. These are public documents and have no restriction to publication. Several of these documents mention the special sling swivels required for attachment of the slings, but I think this two page document adequately describes the swivels. There was no illustrations provided in any of the documents, only written descriptions as contained in the document attached.
    1901 5 8 (1901 6 24 p1) oo36116-4.jpg
    1901 5 8 (1901 6 24 p2) oo36116-4.jpg

Many thanks, but, as I read it, the attachment says nothing about altering the swivels on the rifle. As I am sure you are aware, fitting to the rifle using solid swivels is possible, though not convenient. The worst part is adjusting the length of the sling once it is on the rifle. What IS interesting is that the correrspondence does clearly include the rifle - thus spiking the arguments of some that the item was intended solely for the canteen, haversack, atc.

7. Default

Well the first paragraph of the previous attachment states "swivels for alteration at the Springfield Armory." Here's another document that says much the same thing in more detail, and mentions that the stacking swivel would have to be altered also to be used to attach the sling for shooting standing.
    1901 5 8 (1901 6 24 p1) oo36116-5.jpg
    1901 5 8 (1901 6 24 p2) oo36116-5.jpg

To me it's clear that Mills sent 1300 of the "slings" to Springfield Armory to accompany swivels altered with 9/16inch openings. Here is a few pages of the endorsements correspondence between the Chief of Ordnance and the CO Springfield Armory that may be of interest:
    1901 5 8 oo36116-5 pE1-1.jpg
    1901 5 8 oo36116-5 pE1-2.jpg
    1901 5 8 oo36116-5 pE2.jpg
    Last edited by alibi; 09-02-2017 at 12:00.

'alibi' - Thanks for your responses and sharing your research and documentation. It is very interesting that the swivels intended to go with the 1,300 Mills & Orndorff canvass gun slings called for having a 9/16 inch opening (like a stacking swivel, but, a wider swivel and wider opening). The butt-swivel, with a 9/16" opening would be quite unique and noticeable. The open swivel-loop would avoid the need to 'thread' the sling through conventional swivels.

The correspondence also states that the Mills gun-sling, Haversack strap and canteen strap were identical and made in equal numbers (1,300) and cost 24 cents ea.

The suggestion of replacing the front 'stacking-swivel' with one of greater width and a 9/16 inch opening, (about 3/16" greater than the standard 'stacking-swivel), is interesting. The Mills Co. rationale was that the sling could be attached to the 'stacking-swivel' and foot for target practice. I presume this was for added stability in the Standing Position or possibly Kneeling Position? (I can't visualize anything else). It was an era when shooting sling use was in its infancy and the Back Position still had advocates.

In Testing, I suspect 'open' sling-swivel loops, (if indeed these existed in large numbers and were tried out in the field), caught on brush and other obstacles. It is likely they were as much a problem as the tendency for the Mills Sling to curl and give a narrow area of support on the shoulder.

Once again, thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 09-01-2017 at 06:33.

9. Default Reports of field trial

Attached is the summary of the reports of the field trial. I did not notice that any of the reports mentioned the open swivels catching on anything, but there is plenty of confirmation of your other suppositions regarding the slings, however keep in mind the reports were regarding the use as rifle slings, and as canteen and haversack straps:

1901 5 8 (1901 8 4) oo36116-16 A3p1.jpg
    1901 5 8 (1901 8 4) oo36116-16 A3p2.jpg

Very interesting - thank you for posting. Clearly this material was missed by ALL of the previous Krag writers (Mallory, Brophy, Poyer, Farmer, et al) unless Joe Poyer has it in his just-released revised edition, which I've not seen.

I'd guess that any/all swivels modified for the tests are long gone - have never seen, or heard of - such items.