Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sometimes the VA really sucks but other times they can be outstanding. Several years ago I banged my knee on a trailer hitch. The knee swelled up and became extremely painful to the extent I could only walk with crutches. The VA did Xrays and after a 1 week they told me it was just a bruise and issued me some pain pills. A month goes by and I go in for a recheck, same story, no new Xrays, just go home and man up.

Another month goes by and I went to a civilian Orthopedic Surgeon. They took an Xray and the surgeon studied it very carefully for about 5 seconds and told me, "your kneecap is broken." The fracture was obvious to any casual observer including a 1/2 inch chip. The surgeon said that after all those weeks, the bone had calcified so much the only fix was surgery... that I couldn't afford.

On a different occasion the VA diagnosed I had COPD and put me on an excellent routine of meds that have basically kept me going. So, some good and some not.

you all just dont understand the reasoning behind the way the V A works , they work slow so that you will die before they have to put any money out for your problems. Personally I just pay my health ins. and go see the doc when I hurt ..........so much easier on the nerves , costly on the wallet though

3. Default

The VA Clinic and hospital here in Salem Virginia is great. Talented caring people. I give them an A+, The administrative part of the VA that processes the claims is a national disgrace I give them a F-. Years to get a settlement, usually you have to appeal their finding, and now according to an article in either the VFW or AL mag the appeal process is up to 1400+ days. From my experience it seems like there should be a mass firing of the administrative section, waiting 5.5 yrs and counting. Your mileage may vary

IF you have an application in for a claim, just go straight to the Disabled American Veterans website and seek out where you can get help. They will assign you legal counsel and get this sorted out much faster.
    "America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."

Those guys are not looking for solutions or advice.
    Part of the "kiss my ass, you owe me," crowd that probably can't buy a hamburger without starting a fight.
    Seen to many of them.
    Getcha some of that Obama care,

Well I would sure like to know how a friend got 5000 bucks worth of hearing aids (no trouble according to him) after serving 3-4 years in the Navy back in early 50's. Never on a ship so no big guns ond only lost his hearing in later years, he is in his early 80s. now! Got them 3 year ago! I have no service connected stuff but my wife said I should do like he did and I refused. Lost my hearing working in an oil refinery.

Last year I went to the Indianapolis VA for a hearing test. I do not have a documented service related disability but I wanted an unbiased evaluation of my hearing loss. I was told with my hearing loss I would only find hearing aids useful for a few minutes a day. He also told me to make an appointment when the hearing loss was greater because the VA now provides hearing aids without service related proof.

8. Default

"IF you have an application in for a claim, just go straight to the Disabled American Veterans website and seek out where you can get help. They will assign you legal counsel and get this sorted out much faster. "

The DAV is my rep, they don't seem to have much luck either, next stop is my congressman.

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

your congressman cant do SQUAT either because the VA is "cabinet level".
    I've been screwing with them since 1969! and they still don't have it right. Meanwhile, I look at non-combat guys rated at 100% and I wonder WTF! I got very physical visual stuff wrong with me from RPG fragments and it is like it doesn't count.
    Hell, I can't even get a new I.D. card and have been trying for 15 + years. I still have my "max clelland purple triangle bolo badge card" that is disintigrating!!

I know someone will stand up and say I'm racist. But, I think what would help the VA most is to get some staff that doesn't speak with a foreign accent. Most of the Drs are people who couldn't maintain a practice outside of the VA. Their decision making skills are not up to the task, and a poor decision can cost a life. I know, they about cost me mine.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson