1. Default Krag front sight?

I recently picked up a 1894 Krag that has been cut down to a carbine. The big problem is it has no front sight. I located a repro from S&S Firearms. My question is this, How does the font sight attach? I have no clue as this is my first Krag.

Krag sights were originally brazed to a small milled/dovetailed flat.

You might be better off with a commercial ramp type, because there is no point in trying to replicate the original (quite hard to do well) since only two M1892 carbines were made, and both are accounted for.

TD,

Since you aren't going to try and fool anyone with the job, you could reshape the bottom of the Krag sight to fit the barrel's curvature, then just silver-solder. If you did a good job it would stay on just fine and would look original.

Good luck!

jn

Both good suggestions, with the ramp being more secure I would think. Lyman and Redfield ramp sights with the proper ID come up on ebay and gunbroker all the time.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

1903 sight??

6. Default

Ive seen a few with the 1903 sight and thought about going that way. Will the sight key work for the Krag?

7. Default

Most people say that the front sight was brazed to the barrel using a brass alloy. Requires a much higher temperature than silver solder. If anyone trying to install one, I think silver solder would work just fine if he/she use the correct flux. Remember to clean all the excess solder off the steel before you touch up the bluing.