Thread: Post your favorite memories about Major Culver

Hybrid View

1. Default

My favorite memory of Dick Culver is actually a conglomeration of several memories: Dick and Gloria and I met many times for lunch, in a couple of local restaurants which still allowed cigar smoking. We would have lunch and literally sit there for 4 or 5 hours talking, most of which was Dick telling sea stories, camel tales, and the like. I have never - NEVER - laughed so hard or so long in my entire life. Dick had an incredibly rich history of things that he'd either been a part of or that had happened to him, and they way he told most of them they were simply hysterical. If you didn't actually know him, you'd swear that all of those things could not possibly have happened to one man, but I have no doubt that they did. And many of them are here on this website, in his Camel Tales or Jouster Tales.

My absolute favorite - and one which I tried for years, unsuccessfully, to get him to write down - was the story of his being accosted by an airport security guard in the Spokane airport as he and Gloria were headed for a flight. Dick, as was customary, had a cigar in his mouth - unlit - and this very large (they found out later he was a retired state patrolman) security guard approached them and told Dick to take the cigar out of his mouth, there was no smoking in the airport. Dick replied - and I quote - "I will NOT!" (it wasn't lit, after all), and the situation deteriorated from there. Suffice to say that the security guard had NO idea who he was messing with, and he was WAY out of his league

I grin ear to ear every time I think about that story, and I really, really wish Dick had written it down.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson Adams View Post
    My absolute favorite - and one which I tried for years, unsuccessfully, to get him to write down - was the story of his being accosted by an airport security guard in the Spokane airport as he and Gloria were headed for a flight. Dick, as was customary, had a cigar in his mouth - unlit - and this very large (they found out later he was a retired state patrolman) security guard approached them and told Dick to take the cigar out of his mouth, there was no smoking in the airport. Dick replied - and I quote - "I will NOT!" (it wasn't lit, after all), and the situation deteriorated from there. Suffice to say that the security guard had NO idea who he was messing with, and he was WAY out of his league

I grin ear to ear every time I think about that story, and I really, really wish Dick had written it down.
    That was one of my favorite stories too. I think they were on the way to a GCA convention that time. I remember Gloria rolling her eyes when he started telling that tale.

BTW da gimp, I followed Gloria around once at the Big Reno Gun Show when she trolled with the Pedersen Device equipped rifle. I had to stay close enough to hear what was being said, but far enough away to keep the dealers from seeing or hearing me laugh while they tried to con Gloria out of the rifle. What a hoot!
    Last edited by Brad in Idaho; 02-27-2014 at 12:01.