Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thumbs up Post your favorite memories about Major Culver

If you have a favorite memory or story about Dick, please post it here.

Does anyone have any photos of him to share?

I'm sure Gloria would appreciate being able to read them.

Thanks

-Jeff L
    Last edited by Jeff L; 02-26-2014 at 12:18.
    Spam Sniper- one click, one kill.

CSP is what you make it.

A picture of your gun is worth 1,000 words. A crappy picture is only worth 100.

I have several but one of memories that first come to mind is exchanging our experiences in the middle east. We agreed upon much and when talking to Dick his sense of humour and experience made me appreciate what a first class guy he was. That and his excellent choice in women.

KTK

I had a few long chats with Dick and Gloria while they were holed up in that HoJo's in Post's Falls
    trying to recuperate after some medical issues.

Dick and I spoke of things that had happened to both of us in The Kingdom(Saudi Arabia) and South Africa and other places like Rhodesia and Viet Nam.I can talk about this sort of thing with another soldier,but I have never liked boring non comprehending civvies with "tin hat" stories as they wouldn't understand.NOBODY hates war more than soldiers you see and NO,there is no rousing music as you advance to contact either!

Dick Culver was a good officer and an honourable man.I am happy to have known him,even if it was only via the telephone.

My heartfelt condolences to Gloria on this unhappy occasion.

John and Lai Lin Robertson,
    Vancouver,B.C.,CANADA.
    Last edited by John R.; 02-26-2014 at 07:58.

I never met the Major in person, nor have I ever had a personal conversation with him. I do have fond memories of reading his posts and stories through the years, and of reading the numerous stories about him and his accomplishments and contributions. I am forever grateful to both him and Gloria for starting this forum because this is where I "cut my teeth" when I started collecting milsurps. I knew almost nothing when I started as there was very little information out there and in the early days of home computers and dial up internet, this website helped change that. I learned an awful lot here and it has provided me with the knowledge to really enjoy this hobby for many years. It saw me through my divorce and through the problems of being a single parent. It was my outlet, my escape, this is where spent a lot of my "me" time. We've had our problems here, had to move to another host for awhile, but we are still here and to me this is home. I may not post as much as I used to but I always try stop in daily to check up on things. Today I almost wish I hadn't. Today, our country lost a Great American.

Although I never personally met the Major, I felt like I knew him well. He exemplified the "old school" qualities and attributes I like to see in a military leader (i.e. know your craft, take care of your men, and have fun doing it). Dick was also a great story teller and we shall all sorely miss this and his sage advice on so many topics particularly firearms and marksmanship. I'm sure I would have enjoyed serving with the Major. I truly believe he is the type of man we as Marines, soldiers, airmen, and sailors would have happily followed thru the gates of hell.

Fair weather and following seas, Major Dick Culver. Rest in Peace. Semper Fi.

Very respectfully,

Mack Richards
    SCPO/USNRET
    Last edited by Oyaji; 02-25-2014 at 08:35.

6. Default

Best wishes to you Gloria.

It's been an honor to come to these pages and hear the wisdom.
    With Major Culver as the respected Titan and good soul.

With sadness,

Sully
    Last edited by Sully; 02-25-2014 at 06:51. Reason: spelling

The CSP has been a user-friendly website to me. The site is welcoming and makes one feel at home. I miss when Gloria use to chastise those who got a little out of hand. She isn't shy; she tells it like it is. I so much enjoyed Dick's sea chantees and his write up on the flaws and problems of the M-16.

I didn't know he won the silver star in Nam until today. He is one person I wished I'd have met in person.

Those of us who got a little out of hand? Hmmmm...you mean like when the Gun and Knife boards went down and Dick and Gloria set up a Lee Enfield board for all us lost waifs? Someone referred to us as a Mongol horde who didn't bother to leave our war ponies outside the door. Dick and Gloria laid down the law and I think she had a virtual rolling pin in hand while she tapped her foot. If memory serves I think that was back in the 90's.

I appreciate how they kept this board together for us in spite of their own personal setbacks. When the board was hacked and had to be shut down, a temporary home was found while this one was being built. That kind of dedication to our crowd did not go unnoticed.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

I liked the fact that when I emailed him and he found out I was a Navy dental officer with the USMC, he shared with me one of his sea stories about a Navy Dental Captain who had been on Guadalcanal and did some dental work on him. I just was very impressed that he took the time to do that.

Anything further I say will just be a rehash of what everyone else is saying but I must say this website is truly a great gift, it is the one site I check daily for sure. As we know the credit all goes to Major and Mrs. Culver