Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The passing of Dick Culver

I just read a post on Military Surplus that Dick has passed. Still looking for more information.
    "Three people can keep a secret as long as two of them are dead" Mark Twain

I just found the information above in Gun Talk. Sorry for the duplicate posting.
    "Three people can keep a secret as long as two of them are dead" Mark Twain

Please let us know if this has been confirmed. We know he was ill earlier in the year
    Democrat: A person too stupid to know they're a communist.

If you heard my shot, I wasn't aiming at you.

Unfortunately its true. I saw the notice on the Military Surplus forum first as well. I then found it here but it was sort of at the end of a long thread.

A sad day for us all but we can take some comfort in the fact that the Major led a full life and really made his mark with a lot of people. Now his pain is over. May the perpetual light shine upon him.

Regards,
    Jim

Southeast Louisiana, three blocks from the Mighty Mississippi.

RIP Major, always a first class site. Condolences to the Culver family. Learned so much when I was here every night years ago. First firearms forum ever joined. Best M1903 men in the world taught me so much. Never forget that.

Old member here, Lyman commented on the Major's passin' over on Gunboards. There's a thread about this in the Minefield, very respectful. Read about Micheal P. passin' also, loved his photos of fantastic M1903 sporters done by the finest old time gunsmiths.

I thank the Culvers for this great site, and will always remember them for providin' it, through thick and thin. Think I read the Major's stories a few times, interestin' life.

Jim Tarleton, send me a mail, Harbelis@cox.net, Robert K., been too long. Don't think I have your current e-mail address.

Lancebear

Dick was the true pioneer in establishing firearms forums online. All the information was have access to and take for granted we owe to him. I had a few chances to meet him over the years, but always had something else going on. Now I'm regretting it.

I enjoyed his many "sea stories" and counted him a friend. May he rest in peace.
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 02-26-2014 at 08:45.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Another marine stands guard at the Gates of Heaven
    Democrat: A person too stupid to know they're a communist.

If you heard my shot, I wasn't aiming at you.

Although I didn't know Dick on a personal level, I have followed and very much appreciated his writings and his dedicated efforts to provide us all with this venue. I particularly liked his down to earth writing style, what you see is what you got. He leaves a proud legacy that will live forever, an accomplishment reserved for those very special and unique individuals.
    My most sincere condolences to Gloria and the family. Behind every good man is a great woman, Dick was in good hands and that's comforting.

Regards

Kurt
    As the late Turner Kirkland was fond of saying, "If you want good oats, you have to pay the price. If you'll take oats that have already been through the horse, those come cheaper."

I am saddened to learn of Dick Culver's passing. Although I don't recall meeting him personally, we had many friends in common, communicated with each other on occasion, and shared many same interests. He contributed much to our passion and will be sorely missed.

I extend my warmest and sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

J.B.