Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

While I never had any interactions with Mr. Culver either on-line or in person, I am aware of how much and how deeply he impacted the wider martial arms collecting community and how much he gave to so many in the hobby in terms of his time, expertise, and energy. I, myself, though I am an infrequent poster here, have learned much in the past few years on these forums which he began. My condolences to his family.

Best,

Gunnar

RIP Major, You are missed. Go with God Sir.

To those of you that knew the Major/served with him: a Scout Sniper unit is wondering if he had a unique callsign or nickname, as they are interested in using it as their call sign in the Major's honor. If anyone has a good idea on what the platoon should use as a tribute call sign, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Post Kudos

I too, had never joined a site until I came here. I always enjoyed Dick's humor in his writings.
    A unique and gifted perspective, whether on M1903's or M1917's. Though Dick is no longer with us, his writings will live on in the internet forever. I never knew Dick or Gloria personally, certainly a loss on my part. Salute to a gifted person.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDP0311 View Post
    To those of you that knew the Major/served with him: a Scout Sniper unit is wondering if he had a unique callsign or nickname, as they are interested in using it as their call sign in the Major's honor. If anyone has a good idea on what the platoon should use as a tribute call sign, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Jouster, I believe.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

6. Default

TDP0311

The only call sign I am aware of was "Gray Rebel Hotel Six", he spoke about it often and used it when he could in the field. His primary MOS was 0302 and secondary was 0203. If you are a member of togetherweserved.com you can find some information on the Major. He can be found by looking up "Culver, Richard O., Major" his user name is "Gray Rebel Hotel Six" as well.

Reality is just now setting in, I knew he was in failing health but always thought he would pull through until I got a call from Gloria letting me know he was in hospice. I can't say enough how good of a friend he has been to me and I shall miss him greatly. I can't count how many shows and events we attended together over the years, all across the country. Not to mention his introductions to people that otherwise I would never had the opportunity to meet. I will miss the sea stories, several of which I have heard many times, but always entertaining none the less. I remember the first time we talked about Marine Corps Occupations, I was a little apprehensive to tell him I was a CID Agent (Criminal Investigator), Dick laughed and said, "Oh you were a Spook". I told him the last time I was referred to as a spook was by General Gray, he got a real laugh out of that. I have a few stories I'm sure Dick would not mind me sharing, but I'll wait awhile after things settle down a little.

Regards and Semper Fi,

Richard L. Turner
    GySgt USMC Ret

Quote Originally Posted by TDP0311 View Post

Thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Turner/Turner Saddlery View Post
    TDP0311

The only call sign I am aware of was "Gray Rebel Hotel Six", he spoke about it often and used it when he could in the field. His primary MOS was 0302 and secondary was 0203. If you are a member of togetherweserved.com you can find some information on the Major. He can be found by looking up "Culver, Richard O., Major" his user name is "Gray Rebel Hotel Six" as well.

Reality is just now setting in, I knew he was in failing health but always thought he would pull through until I got a call from Gloria letting me know he was in hospice. I can't say enough how good of a friend he has been to me and I shall miss him greatly. I can't count how many shows and events we attended together over the years, all across the country. Not to mention his introductions to people that otherwise I would never had the opportunity to meet. I will miss the sea stories, several of which I have heard many times, but always entertaining none the less. I remember the first time we talked about Marine Corps Occupations, I was a little apprehensive to tell him I was a CID Agent (Criminal Investigator), Dick laughed and said, "Oh you were a Spook". I told him the last time I was referred to as a spook was by General Gray, he got a real laugh out of that. I have a few stories I'm sure Dick would not mind me sharing, but I'll wait awhile after things settle down a little.

Regards and Semper Fi,

Richard L. Turner
    GySgt USMC Ret
    Thanks Richard. I snooped around and found a sea story where he explained it.

The SLF was divided into two segments, 2/3 (our Battalion) was designated SLF Bravo and the 1st Battalion of the 3rd Regiment comprised the second, or SLF Alpha. I was the Commanding Officer of Hotel Company of 2/3. Our call sign was what would now be considered to be terribly Politically Incorrect… The Second Battalion of the Third Regiment was known as “Gray Rebel”, and I was “Gray Rebel Hotel Six”; most appropriate, I thought, for a gent who had two Great Granddaddies who had served in the 59th Alabama during the Late War of Northern Aggression!
    http://233part1.homestead.com/Articl...ickCulver.html
    Last edited by PhillipM; 03-04-2014 at 06:51.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Thank you Phil for that story, it was the 1st time I'd read that one.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

9. Default

Damn, I was surprised to read this today. I dont check in much, but reading he and Michael Petrov have both passed, well, a shock to say the least.

I never had the chance to meet the Major, but I did send him a note thanking him for his hot buttered rum recipe.

He was kind enough to send me a link to this poem which I thought was cool ; http://www.jouster.com/sea_stories/M..._watermark.pdf

REST IN PEACE GENTLEMEN and THANK YOU.

I raise my glass to both of you. SALUTE.

Raggs, thank you sir for sharing that wonderful poem.........
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter