1. Default History of A WWII Colt

I have a Colt 1.1 million with M1911A1 US Army stamped on the slide. Other than paying Colt to research it, is there another way to find out a little history on it?

With the M1911A1 U.S. ARMY being stamped on the slide, the slide is a replacement. There are 100,000 Colts in the 1.1 million range, and less than 25 were shipped somewhere other than Springfield Armory. A Colt letter would tell you the day of shipment.

3. Default

Sorry, I wrote slide instead of receiver. It's all correct.

Yes, researching the history on any firearm typically starts with working backwards. Ask the fellow you bought from to provide info on where he got it. Then, provided he provides truthful information, just continue to work your way backwards.

You will realize very quickly the info dries up real quickly. Aside from the actual shipping date and destination, most pistols have no verifiable history. If you don't understand what Johnny is saying about a Colt letter...he's pointing out a letter is most likely only going to reveal the exact shipping date. If you provide the full serial number, some of us have the Colt shipping records in Clawson's book available to us, and you'd probably be able to narrow down the date of shipment to within a few weeks. If you think your pistol is one of the 25+/- sent somewhere other than SA, you might want to letter the pistol. Also, if you provide the full serial number, someone may tell you if they have additional information on your pistol.
    www.m1911info.com
    Solutions for M1911 Buyers & Sellers

5. Default

I tried to look up the dealer with no luck. After thirty years that's not surprising. The serial number is 1150099 if someone can use that to help me. Thanks!

Colt serial number 1150099 was shipped either December 8, 10, 15, or 20, 1943 to Springfield. It would cost you $100 to find out from Colt which day. I would gladly give you the exact day if I knew.

7. Default

Thanks Johnny P ! You have given me more than I expected and I'd say that I am very happy with the information you provided.