Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Front sight dovetail cants left... Any easy fix?

See pics. Results in groups several inches right at 100 yards. Obviously I can use the windage on the ladder to compensate, but I'd prefer to have the front post dead center.

I can not see the cant, must be very slight. Can sight be tapped over in dovetail enough? Or tap blade to right? Or just buy a new sight?

id bet the barrel is over indexed...
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

4. Default

I'll take a look at the witness marks when I get home today.
    Last edited by ChrisATX; 02-18-2014 at 08:26.

Chris, are you talking about the front sight stud slightly twisted to the right in the base? Ie, the left rear overhanging, the right front flush?

Kurt
    As the late Turner Kirkland was fond of saying, "If you want good oats, you have to pay the price. If you'll take oats that have already been through the horse, those come cheaper."

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Chris, are you talking about the front sight stud slightly twisted to the right in the base? Ie, the left rear overhanging, the right front flush?

Kurt
    Exactly.

I'd try replacing the sight stud first and hopefully that's the problem. I would suspect the hole in the stud or sleeve is off just a hair and this can be checked by removing the screw an seeing if the stud lines up without it.

Kurt
    As the late Turner Kirkland was fond of saying, "If you want good oats, you have to pay the price. If you'll take oats that have already been through the horse, those come cheaper."

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I'd try replacing the sight stud first and hopefully that's the problem. I would suspect the hole in the stud or sleeve is off just a hair and this can be checked by removing the screw an seeing if the stud lines up without it.

Kurt
    Thanks, Kurt. Any good videos or guides for changing the sight stud? It seems straightforward to back the screw out, but I've worked on pistols long enough to know that seeming straightforward can mean dangerous.

Also, looking carefully now, the blade is bent in the same direction as the cant. It screams that someone banged it on something.
    Last edited by ChrisATX; 02-18-2014 at 05:08.

i've got the oposite problem. my garand is under indexed, canted to the right and shoots left.
    i think your sight post looks slightly bent as well though.
    i need to have alice's barrel reindexed. Guess i need to accuire a barrel and reciever wrench.
    bombdog, out!!!!!!!!
    "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." Jesus Christ !!! JN15:13

Looks like someone has been banging on the front left side of the sight base. Also looks like the sleeve might not be original to the BBL or has been removed at some time and replaced.
    Last edited by Weasel; 02-18-2014 at 09:39.