Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Michael Petrov RIP

Michael Petrov died this morning at the Providence Medical Center in Anchorage after fighting cancer throughout most of last year. It came back very aggressively this year. He had a lot of very complicated things happening in his body but he passed peacefully.

He was a great researcher and author of several columns in magazines as well as his two volume books on the Custom American Gunmakers. For any of you that had the opportunity to view his collection in person, it was incredible. Not just the firearms and accessories themselves, but the stories behind each gun. There was no such thing as coming over for 20mins ...

Michael will be greatly missed by many friends and families and is survived by his wife and daughter Charity.

No word on services yet ...

Respectfully ...
    Joe Dobrzynski
    Anchorage, Alaska

A truly sad day. An amazing man that brought so many fine guns to life here and in his books. I like many, many here eagerly awaited the next beautiful rifle he shared from time to time, all priceless as he himself.

Michael, rest in peace.

Kurt
    As the late Turner Kirkland was fond of saying, "If you want good oats, you have to pay the price. If you'll take oats that have already been through the horse, those come cheaper."

I am saddened.

God speed Michael!

The news of Michael's passing is deeply saddening. I was a significant benefactor of his research and discoveries. Above all, I was honored to be his friend. He will be sorely missed.

I extend my warmest and sincerest condolences to his family and loved ones.

J.B.

A very sad day indeed.

Condolences and prayers for the family.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

My sincere condolences to the family. It is so sad that we have lost another great contributor to the firearm community. I always read his posts and eagerly awaited the next exciting rifle he would share with us. While I never met him that I am aware of (maybe in passing at a show), I will surely miss his comments and expertise on the forum.

RIP.
    CC

This is such sad news. Condolences to the family. We lost a great source of 03 sporter knowledge. No many folks out there with his depth.
    For those who did not know who he was: http://finegunmaking.com/page33/page25/page25.html
    Last edited by Jeff L; 02-18-2014 at 12:33.
    Spam Sniper- one click, one kill.

CSP is what you make it.

A picture of your gun is worth 1,000 words. A crappy picture is only worth 100.

Blog Entries

Condolences to his family. I always looked forward to his posts, he was truly a wealth of knowledge... I think my favorite rifle of his was the gear driven left handed conversion 1903.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

While I did not know him personally, I certainly enjoyed his posts and pictures and I respected his ability to stay "above the fray" on line. My condolences to his family.

10. Default

I can't believe that old oil field trash has gone to the big reservoir in the sky. I never met him in person, but spoke to him via phone on several occasions. I was very impressed with his knowledge and willingness to share same. It was Michael who got me started on my quest for the Neidner sniper rifles - dang him. I never knew he was sick. I will miss him for sure.

I hope his family is OK. I am sure they are heartbroken over their loss. God speed Mr. Petrov.

Jim Tarleton