Thread: DM 45

Default DM 45

Question: An old-timer at the range gives me a clay-target-sized box of 30-06 brass. It is primed, the primers are UNFIRED, crimped and the brass appears to never have been loaded or, VERY clean pull-down. There are 390 pieces and all are headstamped DM 45. Ideas please: Where is DM? Load it; shoot it? Soak in water and deprime, uncrimp? RSVP; all help appreciated. Geoff in DE

Is it boxer or berdan primed? If it's Danish it will be berdan primed.

Sounds like De Moine, 1945 brass.

Probably just fine to use. --Jim

I believe it is Canadian, WW11. Corrosive, should be boxer.

JimF is right it came from De Moines Iowa. Corrosive primed and can be used as is if you clean your rifle well after using it.

DM is Des Moines Ordnance Plant. The Plant stopped production in July 1945. The cases could be pull-downs or they could have been old stock that was disposed of after the shut down. They are corrosive. There's no reason not to use them.

DM manufactured over 1.5 Billion rounds of Cal .30 (30-06) so they are not exactly rare.
    Last edited by raymeketa; 02-17-2014 at 09:04.

I should add:

After you shoot those primers . . . Before reloading . . . .I suggest you anneal the case necks, as those cases are "oldies but goodies" and will give you MANY hand loads . . . If you anneal!

Hey, James its Des Moines ,you know were the potatos are.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by mannparks View Post
    Hey, James its Des Moines ,you know were the potatos are.

Doc
    Yup . . . . .you're right!

My spelling isn't always up to snuff!

Would you believe me if I said I was attempting to conserve my "s-es"! Yuk-yuk!

Thanks guys et al:

I'm not familiar with annealing as part of metallic cartridge reloading. Is there a Manual or tutorial for my "education" available ? Geoff