Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

We use to shoot with local air guard team to round out our team in the combat matches. I remember an AIr Force Major shooting a M 16 with serial # 4,000,000. We thought it was a mistake. Later that rifle ended up the local national guard museum.

fjruple

SP-1 owner here, never had a need to have a forward assist. Shot with the Marines as attached Navy 74-76, used an XM-16E2, and they would tell you to hit that forward assist but I usually did not. Shoot it in the mud or dust, heat it up... 16's were failing after 300 rounds sustained fire at Wanat, yeah you would want that in combat. A clean well maintained rifle should purr along without a forward assist.

When I was in Iraq in 2003 the USAF was still issueing M16s without F/O. They refer to it as a GAU something or another.

What type of flash suppressor does th erifle in the OP have? What's the serial number?

Texas native exiled to Oz for past indescretions to numerous to mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny in Texas View Post
    Recent acquisition by Texas Sheriff Office near port O'connor

It looks like an early upper with an A1 bolt carrier and full fence lower in

like new condition.
    I think if I was in LE I would want the forward assist added.
    The forums on Retro Black Rifle never really caught on for some reason, but there is an especially active forum on ARFCOM dedicated to that era, and those boys would be very pleased (as in foaming at the mouth rabidly pleased) to tell you all about that rifle. Unlike the General Discussion area of ARFCOM, they're pretty well behaved and helpful. A fair proportion of them are Viet Nam veterans.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/123_.html

I seem to recall that the Air Force rifles had no forward assist, because they started looking into buying theirs before the Army. The 601/602/604 series of rifles without forward assist were direct decendents of the "original" AR-10 rifles made under license, and none of them had forward assists either. The 603 with forward assist came later.

The Army also had some "slick-side" rifles, as late as 1971, because 5 or 6 of us in my basic training company at Fort Jackson were issued them, including me.
    Last edited by Andouille; 02-21-2014 at 04:49. Reason: slight clarification
    "There it is"
    LOAD AND BE READY!

5. Default

Thanks for the Air Force info. that makes sense. Personally I like having a forward assist. I own an AR-15 SP1 and have had to take it apart to clear a jam. Only once but it is still less than ideal I have used a bullet tip to push the BCG forward also on that rifle. To me it is like having a jack but no lug wrench.

I am former Air Force Security Police. I was active duty between 1984 and 1987. I got out a little early under the reduction or strength program. I worked in high security restricted areas and was trained for Air Base Ground Defense (i.e. Air Force version of combat school).

The M-16's we carried did not have a forward assist. I never needed it. I am not certain but I believe the lower receiver was marked as M-16...I could be wrong though. The bolt carrier has a place to put your thumb to push it forward in the event the bolt did not go into battery.

Also, while stationed in Germany I worked in the armory a bit. I remember one person in my flight (Air Force equivalent of a platoon) was issued a M-16 that the lower receiver was marked as Armalite AR-15 Patent Pending. I never new how old the rifle was but I figured it must have been one of the early one purchased by the Air Force.
    Last edited by Quibbley; 04-28-2014 at 09:40.

7. Default

I was in Viet Nam in 1969. Never was a big fan of the forward assist. Kind of like getting a tractor stuck. If you stop before it gets stuck too tight, it's a lot easier to get out.
    You can kick that charging handle on the latch side a lot harder than you would think, and not break it.
    The only time I spent on an air base ( coming into country, leaving country ) it seemed that the perimeter got quite active after dark.

8. Default

Johhny in Texas, have you ever seen a well maintained(clean) AR15 that needed the forward assit?
    Steve
    The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by usmc69 View Post
    Without a Forward Assist it is prior to 1970 or earlier. I enlisted in the Corps (March, 1969) and never saw one without a Forward Assist. We qualified with M14's in Boot Camp. Saw my first M16 in mid May '69 in Infantry Training at Camp Geiger then. All had a Forward Assist (IIRC). In fact we were taught to smack the Forward Assist with the heel of our hand every time we chambered a round from a fresh mag. Was that a hold over from someone's experience in Viet Nam in combat, can only assume so.
    SPORT
    Slap the bottom of the magazine
    Pull the operating handle to the rear
    Observe the chamber
    Return the bolt home
    Tap the forward assist

10. Default

I have an xm16e1 colt rifle. It is marked ar15 and has the forward assist etc.