Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
  1. Default

Posted by request

Thanks for the heads up. Dick is one of my "Brother Rats" from VMI, a fellow Physics major, Class or 1958. He would be 78 now.

He was one of the most loyal Marines you can imagine. Every year while we were at VMI he went to a Marine summer camp. When we graduated, during the summer he was at Quantico, he invited me up to shoot in the Eastern Regional Pistol matches. I was sufficiently a tyro that I brought my S&W 357, now called the Model 19 and a hat full of heavy loads, 158 gr Keith semi-wadcutter in front of 12.5 gr. of 2400. After the first flight, the range officer asked me to shoot something a little quieter. Shot Dick's 1911.

While he was there I got him a date with a cute girl that lived on my block in Richmond. Was a short lived passing fancy.

He is an unusual guy. Someone most folks would be proud to call a friend.

Convinced me that when I went, I wanted it to be in a violent firefight.

Alex

In my 23 years in the Navy, I've known some exceptional Marines. I'm sure Major Culver would stand with the best. God willing when my time comes too I'll be proud to stand with him. Prayer in the times of transition.

Respectfully
    George Scott
    LCDR, USN (Ret.)
    Contempt of congress, 350 million co-defendents

The Culver's helped me to sell an entire gun collection many years ago. My wife was ill and we needed the money. I'll never forget how both of them would email me and help with the posting of the guns on the old web site. Heartfelt prayers out to both of them.

Barretcreek, Odd you should mention that, We might have met back then. I was in the band, (same class) but only spent one year there.

My prayers go out to the Culvers.
    ̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(◕_◕)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿

Semper Fi !
    Dan-Central Indiana Chapter OFC
    http://www.mtekweaponsystems.com/

7. Default

Folks, a little bit of an update: Gloria told me last night that the doctors had just told her it looks like 4 to 5 days at most, his body is basically shutting down. He's unable to talk or move much at all.

Thank you all so much for the remembrances and the comments - I know they're going to be a comfort to Gloria when she has a chance to see them, since she's currently internet-less. If she hasn't scrounged up a mailing address by the time Dick walks through The Gates, I'll post mine here so you can send cards or whatever to her through me.

Thanks again for your thoughts, prayers, and comments.

We all appreciate your help to the Culvers and keeping us apprised.

Jeff, Post office boxes often prove to be one of the safest ways to do it..........they are cheap & do not have to be kept forever.........unless they're needed....... that way, neither her address nor your street address appears on the net, providing a place that professional burglars would want to seek out, as either would/will yield high value items that could easily be fenced..............

just an old deputy's thoughts that keeping things private, is often the best way to go............of course my ultra liberal cousin says I'm just paranoid............
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

10. Default

add my name to those to pass along to gloria. Both of them at various points over so many years have demonstrated kindness to me. I wish the major an easy transition in his journey.
    Through the years a lot of knowlege has passed through this site, on many many topics.
    ron