Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718

Thanks. I included the address in the announcement which shows at the top of all the boards. Any word on services? I'm sure a few CSP troops would like to attend.
    Spam Sniper- one click, one kill.

CSP is what you make it.

A picture of your gun is worth 1,000 words. A crappy picture is only worth 100.

2. Default

Thanks Jeff, excellent idea

The services are still in the works, from what I understand there will be a local one in Coeur d'Alene and then the one at Arlington. I suspect that the local one may still be a couple of weeks away, as it apparently takes 6 to 8 weeks to arrange the Arlington service. I'll let folks know here as soon as I know.

I'm very sorry to hear the news of Dick's passing. I discovered CSP in 2000 after buying my first Garand. I was fortunate enough to find the most knowledgable group of people here. My first Garand was a fine June 1942 Lend Lease. I spent countless hours pouring over any information I could find. I bought books and then more Garands. Then came Carbines and 1911's. I added quite a few CMP military 22's into the mix. And so it goes not unlike some of my fellow CSP'ers. Thank you Major and Gloria as well as the rest of the gang.

Rest in peace Marine............

5. Default

I just read of Major Culver's departure moments ago on another forum. I am deeply saddened to hear this.

Obviously, CSP won't be the same without him. I gravitated away from CSP after 2001 or so (popping in now and again), but often thought about him when I was back at Camp Lejeune from '05-'11, and wondered if he'd even recognize the place he would write about now and again when he was remembering his career as a Marine officer.

I never met him (although I have a suspicion he attended one of the USMC Birthday Balls in Boise over a decade ago), but knowing he was around the forum was a hoot. You never knew when he'd show up to a thread with a good sea story.

Farewell and following seas, sir-may God bless you and especially your family during a time of difficult loss, and thanks for taking the time to share you stories with us here at CSP.

6. Default

Some information about the memorial service for Dick (still no details about Arlington, this info is about the local service in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho).

Funeral services with full military honors will be at 2:00 pm on Monday, March 10, 2014, at English Funeral Chapel, at 1133 N. 4th St., Coeur d’Alene, ID. After the service, there will be a reception at VFW Post 889 at 406 N. 4th St. in Coeur d’Alene, at 3:00 pm.

Viewing will be from 3:00 pm to 8:00 pm on Sunday, March 9, and again on Monday, March, from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm.

Here's a >> link to the funeral chapel << where you can sign the guest book if you wish, as well as read the write up (actually, Gloria and I just went over it in detail, and there will be some changes and additions hopefully sometime Thursday).
    Last edited by Jefferson Adams; 03-06-2014 at 07:48.

7. Default

The local service in Coeur d'Alene yesterday was excellent. Everything was red, white, and blue, there were numerous photos of young USMC Officer, Richard O. "Dick" Culver, and a number of short speeches by people who knew him.

The display table was covered with photos, ammunition spilled around, a couple of cigars, a Larue Tactical black bumpersticker that said "God bless our troops - especially our snipers" (which Gloria is considering sticking on the outside of the coffin for the Arlington burial), a helmet, dog tags...

I'm sure Dick was pleased.

I was so sad to read about Dick on the 1911 Forum. I haven't been on this forum in quite some time, so did not know about his health problems. My heart and prayers go out to Gloria. Dick was such a great guy and a true hero. The Pearly Gates just got another guard.

9. Default

Folks, English Funeral Chapel has posted >>> a video <<< of Major Culver's service in Coeur d'Alene.

There was a short Masonic ceremony first, followed by the main service with a larger crowd.

Still no word on when the Arlington service will be - and again, I will keep you all posted.

10. Default

Arlington News:

Major Dick Culver's service will be at Arlington National Cemetery on Wednesday, May 28, at 3:00pm. It will be with full military honors, including caisson with horses and a band.

More details as I know them, such as where, specifically, and other information.