Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718 LastLast
    San Clemente, Ca Within earshot of the sound of freedom from Camp Pendleton

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson Adams View Post
    I should have expected it, but our glorious Postal Service wouldn't allow me to add Gloria's name to my PO box without her being present with an ID.

Words fail me. Bureaucracies are truly the spawn of the devil.

I'm sorry, folks, I tried. And especially sorry for any that may have already sent cards or whatever - they said they'll be returned.

Sigh...
    You mean they won't allow "Gloria Culver, C/O Jefferson Adams, PO Box ###, Chicken Belch, ID?
    Dean (the other one)
    OFC-Orange Co. Ca Chapter

2. Default

Well, maybe - if Jefferson Adams was my legal name. It's the name I've used for many years on forums and such to honor my favorite two founding fathers - Thomas Jefferson and Samuel Adams.

I'll talk to them tomorrow about my real name. Buncha ass clowns, they are - a few months ago my PO Box payment was due on a Friday, so I mailed it on the Thursday before. To the address on the bill, local, at the Post Office. Went in Friday and they'd locked my box. I've had it for over 10 years, and they all know who I am. Turns out that mail goes the scenic route, because this is a small town. I convinced the manager to get my mail for me ONE TIME (he emphasized that several times during our conversation), and my check got there the next day, so they unlocked the box.

Sorry for the rant, but this is ridiculous. In the America I remember, the explanation of what's going on with Dick and Gloria, plus maybe an emailed photo of Glo's ID, would have done it in a heartbeat.

But this is the NEW America. Obama's America.

These Postal Orifice people are a lot like the HHS & IRS people that are now in charge of our healthcare.

/rant

3. Default

OK, Gloria will be getting a PO Box later today, Wednesday 2/26. I'll post it when I know it
    Last edited by Jefferson Adams; 02-26-2014 at 08:50.

4. Default Just found out

Have not been dropping by as much as in the past lately and just found out.

For some fifteen years I've enjoyed Dick's whit, wisdom and war stories.

Rest in Peace Major Culver, our deepest sympathy and condolences to Gloria and the rest of the family. You are sorely missed.

Steve

Default AS he stands before St. Peter..

another Marine reporting Sir, I have served my time in Hell".

;(

6. Default

I'd like to add my condolences as well. While I was never privledged to meet the Major face-to-face, nor to speak with him over the phone, several years ago we did briefly communicate via email when I learned he was stationed in New Orleans back in the 60's. As it turned out, unbeknownst to me at the time, we lived just a couple blocks from one another in Metairie ('Metry' as pronounced by the natives). When he expressed his fondness for New Orleans' coffe and chicory, I was all too glad to send he and the Mrs. some love from home. I've enjoyed reading his stories, have always appreciated these forums albeit primarily as a lurker, and was thrilled when I spied his interview some time back on the history Channel's episode on military snipers. May he rest in the peace.

San Clemente, Ca Within earshot of the sound of freedom from Camp Pendleton

JA,
    Try the "soft approach" first with the local Post Office people. Explain what is happening, and why. If they get ugly, then contact management. But remember, always use the positive approach, otherwise they'll pull out their rule books and dig their heels in. If you've ever had contact with the DMV, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Deano41; 02-25-2014 at 08:20.
    Dean (the other one)
    OFC-Orange Co. Ca Chapter

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson Adams View Post
    One more try.

Gloria Culver
    c/o Monte Cooley
    PO Box 9611
    Moscow ID 83843
    Will try to get a card to Gloria via this method. Many thanks for your help with this effort. I have called Moscow "Berkeley, Idaho" since I moved here to Lewiston.
    They seem to have that attitude.
    Brad

Rest in Peace, Major Culver. My deepest sympathy and condolences to Gloria and the family.
    U.S. Army Vietnam Vet '68-69'

I don't have the words...
    Sam