Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Type 99 buying advice

Hello all,

I am getting very close to completing my dream of having a main battle rifle from each major country in WW2. I need some help though on the Type 99. Does anyone know a reputable dealer to buy from? I've not had much luck trying to find someone who sells these, I only seem to find them on a gunbroker or similar site. I prefer a dealer as I feel there seems to be more honesty there than in private sellers. But I'm not hard fast set on that rule. ANY help I could get in being pointed in the right direction would be outstanding. Thanks for the help y'all.
    Last edited by captcrunch227; 02-08-2014 at 06:52. Reason: added information

There are a few things you need to know about Type 99s before you get ready to buy. First, are you looking for an early model (chrome lined bore, anti-aircraft rear sight, monopod, etc.), or would a Last-Ditch be more your style? With the Type 99, there are many different variances... all of which need to be considered if you're looking from a collector's standpoint. Also, from a collector's standpoint, the mum will be important too, and this will affect the price.

Gunbroker is a good place to start, but make sure you know what you're looking at... and then you'll have a better idea of whether you're getting a good deal, or being taken to the cleaners. If you find something of interest, you can always ask for an opinion here, and you'll always get honest answers. Sometimes, Arisakas are listed by people here on the forum too! Of course, the best way to go is to stumble onto an Arisaka, and an honest seller. I stumbled onto a Type 99 at a local "no-one-knows-about-this-hidden-away-place" gun shop once several years ago, and cursed myself for not having enough money to take it home.

I have two Type 99s. A Nagoya Series 7 that was given to my father, and he later sporterized it by cutting the stock down (one day I'll replace the stock and it will be correct again). The other is a Toyo Kogyo Series 31 with a full mum, chrome bore, anti-aircraft sight, monopod, action cover... and the whole shebang! I "stumbled" onto this rifle while having a Garand re-barreled. We were talking about different rifles and he said "I have this Arisaka that I'm selling..." The price was unbelievable, so it followed me home! Sometimes, it's that simple!

Gun shows are your best bet, you can pick them up and look them over. No need to take anyones word. You may want to invest a modest amount in a book, Japanese Rilfes of WW11 by Duncan O. McCollum is cheap and gives a good description of the different types. Not for the advanced collector but a good guide for the beginner or one who only wants one or two, as you do.
    I would not worry about a mum, 95% will be without one and the price goes up allot if present. Ground mum means rifle was brought back from the war. Some un-ground rifles made it home too but they are uncommen. These rifles have never been imported except for some brought in from China in the 90's, usually in very poor condition. These will not be ground.
    Last edited by dave; 02-09-2014 at 07:59.

San Clemente, Ca Within earshot of the sound of freedom from Camp Pendleton

Dave and PS both have good advice. At the top of this forum, there is a sticky on markings. That will help you identify what you are looking at.
    The Type 99 rifle was made by from 1940 to 1945 by eight different arsenals. Nagoya and Kokura being the most prolific.
    Each arsenal was assigned a group of "series numbers" in groups of 100,000 each. The serial numbers are repeated for each series. For example, Nagoya had series 0 (no series mark) through 12, so the same serial number was repeated 13 times.
    With a few exceptions (matched by assembly number) Type 99 rifles were matched by the last three numbers of the serial number on the left side of the receiver, on the bolt and front band, (and a couple of other places).

In selecting a rifle, my first criteria would be matching numbers, followed by original finish (Bubba got to some of them), then "Mum".
    As the war progressed, features such as monopod, dust cover and anti-aircraft wings were omitted. Beware of reproductions. There is one vendor in New York who is known to swap stocks, add features, and change serial numbers to match, to enhance the price.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Deano41; 02-09-2014 at 11:20.
    Dean (the other one)
    OFC-Orange Co. Ca Chapter

Thanks Deano! Capt. Crunch, you'll find few on here with more Arisaka knowledge than Deano or Dave.

Dave, I totally forgot about gun shows! In Michigan, we have the Antique Arms Collectors Assn. shows a few times a year. There are always Type 99s available, from early full shebang to last-ditch models... and everything in between.

By the way, if you've never fired a 99, beware... they kick lick a (insert female dog reference here)!

Thanks PS. The truth is, I buy the books. I can't remember anything, but I know where to find it in a book.
    Gun shows are a great source for books on the things we collect. There's a guy from Idaho that I have been buying firearms related books from, since the Great Western Show days at Pomona in the nineties.
    Dean (the other one)

One reason for gun shows I did not mention, you can pick it up and look at it not only for condition but for just what "appeals" to you. You only want one so get one you like the looks of. With so many styles in these rifles I would recommend an early type.

Quote Originally Posted by psteinmayer View Post
    Thanks Deano! Capt. Crunch, you'll find few on here with more Arisaka knowledge than Deano or Dave.

Dave, I totally forgot about gun shows! In Michigan, we have the Antique Arms Collectors Assn. shows a few times a year. There are always Type 99s available, from early full shebang to last-ditch models... and everything in between.

By the way, if you've never fired a 99, beware... they kick lick a (insert female dog reference here)!
    MAAC was exactly what I was thinking of. Saw several there at this months show. I only have a small collection of jap rifles, 99 long, two regular 99's, 38 rifle & carbine and a 44. (only one has a mum) I collect 98 model Mausers and the jap models are varients of a Mauser, as are 03's, 17's. etc. I am far from an expert on jap rifles only know a few basics.
    I have been a member of MAAC since 97 and try to make all their shows. I am from Durand, MI. How about you, if you do not mind giving your approx. location!

I'm in Ypsilanti Dave. I actually missed this months MAAC show because I'm currently without transportation (thanks to a sideways idiot who slammed into me). I was a little bummed about missing it cause I need a few things... such as a proper cleaning rod for my Toyo Kogyo 99 (the only incorrect part on it). I'd also like to get more 7.7x58 brass. I'm thinking that I may register for a second Vintage Rifle match this year at Camp Perry, and shoot my 99 (I regularly shoot Vintage with my 1898 Krag, and Garand Class). I also want to price out parts to return my Nagoya Series 7 back to original condition (need a bolt, stock, front and rear bands, hand guard, cleaning rod, and attaching hardware). My dad sporterized the stock and bent the bolt handle in the early 1960s for hunting, and the extra parts scattered to the winds.

Graffs has 7.7 brass. http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...ategoryId/775?
    Don schlickman has small parts (he makes them, and they are excellent) . He might straighten bolt handles (I'm not sure about that one.)
    http://members.shaw.ca/tju/donspartslist.htm
    Last edited by Deano41; 02-10-2014 at 09:38.
    Dean (the other one)