Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I can remember that many, many heavy bore dangerous game rifles were made on both the 1917 & 1914 actions................ Which actions good gunsmiths would re-barrel to long cartridges like the .375H&H & into .458's as the action could stand any reasonable loading...........

Yup 1903's were the basis for many fine sporters in a wide variety of calibres, MichaelP has posted some flat out beauties , but I never heard of one being in .375H&H or .458Win..........
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

Quote Originally Posted by kragluver View Post
    I have read that the Brit's primarily used the P14 as a sniper rifle during WW1 (which of course probably only accounts for a couple thousand rifles or so). More were used in combat during WW2. Many were indeed shipped to outlying colonies for the reasons posted by Slamfire, above. As a combat rifle, the P14/M1917 was very likely a better, more durable rifle than the M1903 (certainly the sights were better!). On the target range, I prefer my 03. If I was going to war and had to choose between the two, I'd probably take the '17 (after cutting about 4" off the barrel to make it handier!).

Ejector spring breakage was the one problem with the design but that was easily remidied with a coil spring from a ball point pen
    Sure. The British eventually found some things to do with their 1914 rifles. It was the fact that they could not find a use for them in WW1, after they had spent a lot on them, that mystifies me.

Can we get back to Marine use of the 1917? I'd like to hear some proof.

4. Default

I wonder if the british, at the time of placing the orders, planned on changing the p-14s to the p-13 cartridge after the war.
    john

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fkienast View Post
    Can we get back to Marine use of the 1917? I'd like to hear some proof.
    What "proof" do you wish? A Commandant's announcement that they be will used in training isn't sufficient? Photos (posted in previous threads) of Marines using M1917's in training isn't sufficient? They used the M1917 in training in WWI during the latter stages of 1918 - period. To my knowledge, they did not use them in combat.

jt

What proof do I wish? Yes to all the above, but hold back on your hearsay.

Maybe nor your standard of proof but In Chapter 5 of Campbells "The '03 Springfield Era" (2003) p 59 . Mr Campbell states that 3/4 of US troops carried the M1917 into combat and the the USMC had received 61,000 of them. I suppose it is still open as to whether or not any marines atually used an M1917 in combat in WW1.

The most important thing about the M1917 is that we had it to begin with. Through a lack of foresight on the part of our political leaders we came upon ww1 with one national arsenal shut down and the other producing at a snails pace. Having the 03 produced by private industry was considered but quickly rejected as it would have taken much to long to assemble the necessary tools and gauges not to mention the people needed to make them.

regards,

Jim

Thanks!

9. Default

To exactly what "hearsay" do you refer?

The Commandant's proclamation is posted in the June 1918 issue of Arms and the Man, the picture showing Marines training with the M1917 has been posted on this forum several times in the past (it is a WWI picture of a Marine instructor pointing at a M1903 and a M1917 hung on the wall), and if one considers that the Marines had 50,000, or so, M1903's in 1918 and only the 5th and 6th Regiments in combat, why would they need to ship M1917's to France?

Have you ever considered doing your own research?

jt

Quote Originally Posted by Marine A5 Sniper View Post
    To exactly what "hearsay" do you refer? Have you ever considered doing your own research?

jt
    Amen! Good information ain't free!!!

J.B.