1. Default Given the choice, which is more valuable, a 1941 late parkerized R.S. or early W.B.

Question for the experienced collectors.

Given the choice of two equal, identical condition 95% parkerized 1941s, which do you believe is more valuable, a late R.S. or an early W.B.? What approximate value would you place on your choice today?

There were 34,756 Colts in 1941. Based on Mr. Clawson's 3rd edition, and notes from 1911A1 forums, my approximate estimate of the split of acceptances for 1941 is:

CSR Blue 3%
    R.S. Blue 33%
    R.S. Parkerized 46%
    W.B. Parkerized 18%
    Last edited by KeithNyst; 01-28-2014 at 11:00.

Pacific North west & Lake Havasu City, AZ.

Kind of a tricky question. And given all things equal as far as condition goes, I would think that the very late 1941 WB would be more desirable since there were fewer made but most collectors I know would gravatate toward the RS marked pieces. This is just my opinion. Actually all of the mentioned pieces are very desirable and very collectible so it would be very hard to actually answer your question. I don't really believe their is a right or wrong answer.

3. Default

Duane,
    That is exactly why I phrased the question like it did. I agree that a parkerized '41 R.S. seems to get more attention for some reason, but I don't understand why given the numbers. Additionally, there are some interesting variants of the early W.B.s ... some with the R.S. on top the receiver, or the odd chiseled-like large H on top the receiver.

I must admit that I fall into the camp of the Parkerized RS.

But I hasten to add that the reason is that my collection is built on variations and the RS Parkerized variation IMHO represents a major finish change. This trumps quantity manufactured

There is a lot of subjectivity in collecting and value is much more subjective than one would like. It is highly dependent on one's collecting objectives.

However, having said that I have several of the WB variations as well.

Again as always, JMVHO.

John
    Last edited by guns3545; 01-28-2014 at 04:16.

5. Default

John, very good, valid points. Often, it is what a collector does not have, but wants, that drives value when the right piece comes along that happens to fill a gap in his/her collection. That collector may pay a premium, leaving others scratching their head.

A blued C.S.R. will generally be more desirable than the others, whether it is a 1940 or a 1941. A blued R.S. will be next in line for value...generally. Even though there were fewer 1941 production pistols with a W.B. final inspection produced than 1941 production Parkerized R.S., the R.S. is still generally much more desirable. Most collectors seem to pay more attention to finish and final inspection, instead of year produced. There are some exceptions to that rule, but they are truly few and far between.

There were only about 15,000 Parkerized R.S. pistols produced. There were roughly 100,000 Parkerized W.B. pistols. That doesn't mean a Parked R.S. is worth 6X as much as a W.B., but it does mean the Parked R.S. is at least 6X as difficult to acquire.

The other thing that drives the market is provenance. The vast majority of the Parkerized R.S. guns I have, or have had, with provenance were ultimately used by the Navy and Marine Corps in the Pacific. That's just where a lot of those pistols went when they were shipped from Springfield Armory...especially guns in the 74x,xxx range. I have two in my collection that saw action against the Japanese at Guadalcanal. One of those was also used at Tarawa and Saipan.

When a gun has some real history with it like that, I think they become much more interesting than just years, finishes and final inspections.
    www.m1911info.com
    Solutions for M1911 Buyers & Sellers

Shooter5 Guest

WOW! That is some rare history there especially so since the intensity of combat at the 'canal and how such events tend to use up equipment. Tarawa even more so… Saipan was just insane. Do you have pics/documents you could post? How about one traced to the Marshall Islands campaign?

8. Default

Ok, I'm convinced. You have lifted the vail of my 1941 blinders and I now see it in the broader picture; I am now in the parked R.S. court ... but, if my collection goal was to obtain one 1941 of each of the four, and a R.S. and a W.B. came up at the same time, and I could only afford to buy one, I 'd buy the W.B.

Scott, that 41' you put up today is terrific. Wish it was in my budget right now ... already spent my budget for the year and I don't think my wife would extend my credit .
    Last edited by KeithNyst; 01-28-2014 at 06:44.

If I had a blued RS, the phosphate RS would be my first choice.