Thread: WTK: M1903 w/ single-shot .22 conversion kit.

Default WTK: M1903 w/ single-shot .22 conversion kit.

Greetings everyone,

I'm about to pick up a Springfield M1903 with a single-shot .22LR conversion kit installed. What do I have here? The .22 bolt is marked "M2" and the barrel insert has a feed ramp. How do I remove that .22 kit and where can I find a great price on a complete M1903 bolt assy? How much is the set-up worth as it is right now? How much is the .22 kit alone worth?

I appreciate everyone's patience with my "green" questions.

Kimbo
    NW GA
    "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

It sounds like a Numrich kit for the 1903 rifles. Check the CMP forms for a copy of the instruction sheet also a special tool was used with this kit. Someone on the CMP forums was going to make these tools.

I have a 22 rf barrel liner installed (with a rear extension) in a burned-out barrel and use a rim fire M2 bolt with the headspace adjustment. It is very accurate.

Hi RCS,

That is what this is...a .22LR barrel liner and .22 bolt (engaved "M2") installed in a U.S. M1903 .30-06 rifle. I gotta stress that the conversion kit is single-shot, NOT one of those Numrich kits that had the floorplate adapted to accept a magazine.

I just have no idea what I have here...because of all the searching I've done on Google, I simply cannot find out what I have...or a straight cut and dry answer on what I have.

Thanks for your response, though.

Kimbo
    NW GA

Default 1903 with 22 rim fire liner

P1010014_0006..jpgP1010017_0014..jpg

Here is a photo of my low numbered 595238 receiver with a 22 rim fire liner with rear extension to fit the M2 bolt. The liner is a permanent installation. I do have a Numrich
    trigger guard that was modified for a magazine but have not installed it yet

5. Default

RCS
    Is your conversion a one off by an unknown gunsmith, or did Numrich make a single shot conversion? Any markings on any of the conversion parts?

My 22 rim rifle barrel liner was installed by a man in NC who has done a number of these conversions. I bought the converted barrel from him and did the installation and scope mounting myself. The are a few others that convert burned out barrels or drill rifle barrels to shoot 22 rim fire. The liner must have an extension at the rear for the M2 bolt. I believe that the permanent rim fire liner is more accurate than the Numrich liner which you can remove at any time. Numrich has not sold any of these kits in years, they also made a 22 RF kit for the Lee Enfield Mark 3 rifle too

RCS,

Thanks very much.

Kimbo

a very nice rig RC, thanks for posting it........
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

I have a little bit more info about the rifle. Camera's on the blink...sorry.

Serial number is 3698XX. Am told the receiver was made in January of 1909 and the barrel is dated 3-10. It has the OGEK cartouche on the stock and the P in the circle under the pistol grip. What's the "P" stand for? I was able to get the .22 barrel liner out of the .30 barrel. I think you're right...it may be a Numrich .22LR barrel liner...it has 2 "prong-looking" ramps and there's a "lug" on top of the chamber area. The .30 Barrel looks OK...a little frosty, but rifling is still present. Now I have to find a complete bolt assy for it so I can shoot it. Any bolt assy will do or do I need to get the dated correct bolt assy for it.

How much is the M2 bolt assy and .22LR barrel liner worth? Value of .30-06 rifle with a new complete bolt assy installed? Found a generic bolt assy for $65.

Thanks for your time and patience with my post here.

Kimbo
    NW GA

Oh, BTW the M2 bolt assy has "NS" above the "M2" on the bolt handle (?).