Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help

Quote Originally Posted by John Kepler View Post
    To Weasel.....if you have an A4 marked as an A3......Bubba did it, not Remington. My A4 is clearly marked as such (and I'm not sure how you'd know since most of the ID would be buried under the JR mount...the ID on a real A4 was moved to the side of the receiver and so can be clearly and completely read).....and I've provenance up the wazoo on the rifle to prove it's pedigree. I know that early A1's (maybe) were not clearly marked as such, and it got to the point that ANY 03 with a scant stock was considered an A1. But AFAIK, everything after around 1926 was marked as an A1....my A1, handed down from my Grandpa who bought it new at Camp Perry, is clearly marked as an A1 with a build-date in June, 1926
    The markings on early '03A4 rifles were partially obscured by the scope mount base, but they were shortly relocated to clear the scope mount, and they were still marked '03A3. If yours is marked '03A4 then Bubba did do that, or you need better glasses. If your grandfather's rifle is marked '03A1, then someone added the A1 marking. I would be pleased for you to prove me to be incorrect. How about posting photos of the two rifles you have referenced? I'm all but certain that everyone would enjoy expanding their knowledge base.

Funny, my A4 is marked A3 done by Bubba at the Remington factory in 1943. You got more crap with you than a Christmas Turkey Kepler.

Last edited by Weasel; 01-26-2014 at 10:35.

Interesting. Please post pictures of your rare guns.

In all fairness, on some 03A4 receivers, the 3 was x'ed out and a 4 stamped. Ie. 03AX4, this wasn't done during original manufacture but later at overhaul depots. I wasn't a standard practice however so although not common, it's not really considered rare.

Kurt
    As the late Turner Kirkland was fond of saying, "If you want good oats, you have to pay the price. If you'll take oats that have already been through the horse, those come cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    In all fairness, on some 03A4 receivers, the 3 was x'ed out and a 4 stamped. Ie. 03AX4, this wasn't done during original manufacture but later at overhaul depots. I wasn't a standard practice however so although not common, it's not really considered rare.

Kurt
    You got it in one!

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Valley View Post
    I believe your statement to be incorrect with respect to the '03A1 and '03A4.
    Yeh, any rifle with a pistol grip stock became an A1, no matter when stock was put on, They were not marked A1 (same with A4's but scope and marking moved to side?)
    Last edited by dave; 01-27-2014 at 12:51.

Blog Entries

John, still need an explanation for the 03 you have that is marked as an A1 ??

8. Default

My 1903 Springfield did not have an A1, but it did have 'Mark I' under the model.
    My RIA has 1903, with no A1 after the model.
    It seems to be many different ways to mark a receiver.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SOME of the markings are fraudulent, especially on high dollar rifles.
    I have seen receivers remarked with a pantograph on occasion, but
    the markings of a rolled vs. pantograph are very obvious, if you know
    the difference between them.
    Other rifles have the receiver mutilated in an effort to disguise the rifle.
    So, to state, this is the way, or that is the way, isn't cast in steel , but
    it is a good starting point, especially between the older and newer rifles.

It is best to ask questions and post pictures, if there is any questions
    about the rifle. There are many VERY knowledgeable people out there!
    And I thank them all for answering my ignorant questions, THANKS PEOPLE!
    Last edited by Crashyoung; 01-27-2014 at 04:42.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kepler View Post
    You got it in one!
    I believe that is the most brief reply I have ever seen you post. Thus far you have merely latched on to a bone that was thrown your way. I would still like to see photos of your '03A1 and '03A4. Are we hoping for too much?

10. Default

To the mother of a Marine, Thank you and your son for his and your contribution to our country.

As to your rifle. There are three things we need to know for a fair assessment. The receiver make,
    model, and serial number. The bolt should have markings to help determine the date of manufacture
    as well as the handle configuration. The last thing is the barrel make and date, which is near the front sight.

Pictures of these markings also would help. If you can give us the information and pictures, we may be able
    to give you a good idea about the rifle.