Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 870 mk1

1. Default 870 mk1

I have a lead on an 870 with US property marks and the blade front site/bayonet lug. The serial number is s087652v. What's the current market value?
    Thanks

2. Default

Any photos available??

According to Canfield's "U.S. Military Combat Shotguns" book, (Collector Notes, page 193), your serial number appears to be within the USMC Model 870 Mark I serial number range (S081347V - S127,697V, with most known specimens falling into the S117000V - S129000V range).

Canfield also advises that some USMC 870 MKI's had "US Property" or similar markings "rather crudely hand-etched, usually on the left side of the receiver" - but, "not all of the 870 MKI shotguns had such post factory markings applied".

From my research, genuine 870 MKI's are still in limited USMC active service (Standard "B" weapons). Very, very few complete shotguns have legitimately made their way into civilian hands. On the other hand, the USMC Bayonet Adaptor Sleeve (with Rifle Sight Ramp/Base) do come available from time to time. Over the last 10 years, I've only seen three (3) legitimate USMC Adaptor Sleeves on the open market.

Stocks/Forends more frequently show up for sale. However, stocks may have a locally applied (USMC Base) "Rack Number", either hand etched or stencilled on, but without provenance, almost impossible to tell if from a USMC, USAF, USN, or early police 870 Riot shotguns - all used similar type plain walnut wood.
    Last edited by mtrpdw; 01-26-2014 at 01:44.

3. Default

It would help if you could post up some photos, we would better be able make informed observations...
    "There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

4. Default

Be very careful. There is a guy on Long Island who "makes" US marked 870's

5. Default

To reinforce what "scosgt" is cautioning, have a look at the attached 2013 auction listing where a fake USMC 870 sold for nearly $9,800.00!

http://www.cowansauctions.com/auctio...?ItemId=124256

And, I've been corresponding with a novice combat shotgun collector who recently got burned for $1,500.00 on a purported "870 Trench Gun" - the only part having any value being the Early/1st Type, One-Piece, Bayonet Adaptor Sleeve. Came with homemade heat shield. He "bought the story" that came with the pictures. See below.

6. Default

Here are some photos. I'm leaning towards a put together gun

7. Default

On the outside, the Adaptor Sleeve looks pretty good, but are there close-up photos of the Sight Base?

If you are able to remove the Adaptor Sleeve and look inside near the front of it, there should not be a hole that would indicate it previously had a Bead Sight installed. Legitimate USMC 870 MKI Adaptor Sleeves WILL NOT have a Bead Sight hole covered over by the [soldered on] Rifle Sight Ramp Base.

Remington offered Bead Sighted Adaptor Sleeve kits to the USAF, USN, and police - these are identical to the USMC Sleeves, except they are Bead Sight Only - No Rifle Sight Ramp.

Can you provide profile photos of the complete shotgun, including close-ups of the Rear Sight and markings around it, Bolt, Trigger Guard, Stock, Rear Swivel Assembly and Butt Plate?

Have you been able to measure the Barrel for 21"?
    Last edited by mtrpdw; 01-28-2014 at 04:33.

8. Default

I don't particularly like the US PROPERTY stamp...a little fishy looking to me.
    "There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mtrpdw View Post
    On the outside, the Adaptor Sleeve looks pretty good, but are there close-up photos of the Sight Base?

If you are able to remove the Adaptor Sleeve and look inside near the front of it, there should not be a hole that would indicate it previously had a Bead Sight installed. Legitimate USMC 870 MKI Adaptor Sleeves WILL NOT have a Bead Sight hole covered over by the [soldered on] Rifle Sight Ramp Base.

Remington offered Bead Sighted Adaptor Sleeve kits to the USAF, USN, and police - these are identical to the USMC Sleeves, except they are Bead Sight Only - No Rifle Sight Ramp.

Can you provide profile photos of the complete shotgun, including close-ups of the Rear Sight and markings around it, Bolt, Trigger Guard, Stock, Rear Swivel Assembly and Butt Plate?

Have you been able to measure the Barrel for 21"?
    The barrel is MOD so there is not going to be a hole if it was cut down.

10. Default

The barrel is MOD so there is not going to be a hole there if it is cut down.