Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electropencil

1. Default Electropencil

Saw this on fleabay. Is it overpriced, or are they that rare?

jt

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=321304161044

Well offhand i would say overpriced ! Just a bit.
    http://www.mactools.com/product/tabi...788-ep9ns.aspx

Seriously i did see another old one on eBay about 10 years ago for around $35.00.

Jim

3. Default

You can duplicate the unit very inexpensively and power it from a car battery.
    Minus the $200 price tag...

the real one....didnt not look like that, yes, over priced.. quality done with your cars battery would be suspect...try in on a BF or HO marked bolt and show us your results...
    i have a ideal arc engraver that came from RIA.. it is top quality for its day...and even with it. marking some bolts are tough.
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

Blog Entries

Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

6. Default

I just bought one on ebay for 13.88 for marking paper
    VINTAGE ELECTRO PENCIL w/ BOX NO 1035 ENGRAVING PEN GAYLORD BROS INC ANTIQUE OLD

thanks for the heads up
    Last edited by Johnny in Texas; 01-23-2014 at 10:41.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by chuckindenver View Post
    the real one....didnt not look like that, yes, over priced.. quality done with your cars battery would be suspect...try in on a BF or HO marked bolt and show us your results...
    i have a ideal arc engraver that came from RIA.. it is top quality for its day...and even with it. marking some bolts are tough.
    Take another look, Chuck. That is the real one. It is a Lodi. Looks like the price dropped considerably.

jt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny in Texas View Post
    I just bought one on ebay for 13.88 for marking paper
    VINTAGE ELECTRO PENCIL w/ BOX NO 1035 ENGRAVING PEN GAYLORD BROS INC ANTIQUE OLD

thanks for the heads up
    What they mean by marking paper is in the old days of sign making a paper pattern of the artwork or lettering was made and then the paper was perforated by the electric pencil. Then the paper was put on the substrate and chalk line chalk in a sock was dabbed on the tiny holes transferring the design. A friend that used to work at the local billboard company told me about getting zapped by one once.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

I bought some instructions for making a homemade unit off the net a few years back. The pen contained a spring loaded stylus, an electromagnet and a set of contacts. Good luck getting it to work in the first place. A large battery would probably provide enough power . But a properly designed and built pen produces the pulsating power needed to mark the work.

I suspect the professional units have more sophisticated power supplies that allow the user to dial in the current needed.

no pulsating that iv ever felt...it works basicly like a transformer, for a train set.
    the Ideal engraver i have is a bit more advanced then the one at auction to say the least.
    even on its high setting, marking some bolts is tough...
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.