Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

No, An unmarked barrel would be a replacement. It could also be an import that someone removed the import stamp on and in doing so removed the barrel ID at the same time. Also look on the barrel flat on the bottom for any markings on it. Let us know what you find.

2. Default

Benny:

Look for a very small 'BA' on or near the top of the barrel at about 2"-3" behind the fromt sight. Hard to see if you aren't looking for it. Also look for a single 'punch' mark in the top of the barrel about 6" behind the front sight.
    Last edited by ChipS; 03-11-2014 at 06:32.

3. Default

Tuna:
    Finally got around to taking apart my NPM and I will describe what I Found. NS or SN on front sight, S. on rear sight leaf style L and IN or NI on right side,UI on front bbl. band 1st. type,short metal liner on forearm shallow groove,2 rivet,TN on underneath (very faint)NO marks on stock anywhere, someone gouged out the marking in sling well,LN on underneath of recoil plate,NS or SN on push safety,N16 on trigger assembly,N14on bolt which is flat and blue, N15 on inside of operating slide,HI or IH on hammer, 23 on bottom of receiver where trigger assembly is held in placeby trigger housing retaining pin,no marks of any kind on bbl. including flats, nor is there any sign of import marks or bbl. date being removed. no M on magazine release button but NS inside on it's front near the trigger guard,SW-N onsear flat part over trigger 261/2 coil hammer spring, recoil spring guide is pointed at both ends. there IS even a repair to the buttstock's right side where it looks as if a bullet caused groove was filled in with plastic wood of some sort. Thanks. Benny

4. Default

ChipS:
    I have a bench mounted magnifying glass with light and I could not see any of the marks you mentioned. Benny.

Benny, Is it at all possible that you could take some photos of the barrel? As many as you can like the area behind the front sight, the flat of the barrel and the area on the right side of the gas cylinder? This may help ID the barrel. Also look real close about half way down the barrel for a faint W or a WP one on top of the other. These can be very faint and hard to see.

6. Default

Benny:

Yes, I forgot how light the Winchester barrel marks noted by Tuna can be. But, if this is the original barrel it will most likely have the 'punch' mark visible on top as this was a characteristic NPM only proof mark and I believe almost always present (others may correct me). The rest of the Carbine parts sound pretty darn right to me, which makes me wonder more about the barrel. I too would like to see pics of the barrel. If it is a GI Korean era replacement it will probably be marked SA (Sprinfield Arsenal) over a date (mm - YY) right behind the front sight. These SA markings if present will be VERY small and VERY light. I doubt this is the case because it has all of the earlier WWII parts that would have been replaced if re-barreled for Korea. May be a commercial replacement barrel on a 'correct' carbine that was put together from parts. Pics of everything would be great so we could see how well the finishes and wear match. Very interesting. ChipS

7. Default

ChipS
    reexamined the bbl. and still found no marks faint or otherwise. Thanks for your interest. Benny

8. Default

Tuna
    I amnot very good on the computer. Do not have any knowledge about posting pictures. Checked the bbl. again for any marks still came up empty. Thanks again for your interest. I am just outside of Buffalo NY. and go the the few gun shows we have here. Maybe someday we can get together. Benny