Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Postal meter carbine

I have a postal meter carbine serial number4195487
    Barrel buffalo arms dated 12-43 with ord, bomb
    Rear sight Flip mark with N-A no dimples org sight, s on left side.
    Front sight has SN on it
    Slide is marked UN
    Long barrel skirt
    Bolt ,flat,blue, has N 14 on lug
    Firing pin ,blue N-N
    Trigger housing bevel corners on rear, N 9 on left side
    Trigger marked SN
    Sear marked LN no hole
    Hammer marked NH or HN
    Safety marked SN
    Mag catch blue, marked SN
    Barrel band marked U swivel marked UI
    All the parts are marked with the postal meter markings except the stock recoil plate which is Winchester
    Hand guard is marked with a W (Winchester ) 2rivet
    I need help with the stock low wood, small cartouche on right side no NPM overFJA and I can,t find no markings in sling well I think stock has been sanded, no rebuilt or import markings. The stock has a number under the butt plate 651 with two holes top and bottom,butt plate is Winchester , can anybody help me with this stock? It also has a flat bottom style, and the sling is marked S.M.Co 1944 and has c tip, thanks in advance John

Your trigger housing is one from about late spring 1943 and would be too early for your serial number. The sear may be a bit too early also. You have a Winchester stock which is right for a later Winchester. Can you post a couple of photos of both sides of the rear sight?

Can anybody give me a value of this carbine? I know pics would help but don,t know how just trying to see a ballpark figure , are postal meters carbines value more or less than other brands

The stock sounds like it's a Winchester. Often a small W in the sling well but sometimes no markings at all. Pictures would sure help. Hard to put a value without seeing it. Condition is everything when a carbine is a collector piece or close to one which only needs a little to restore it. In general value would be about the same as other carbines BUT again condition is everything and a good NPM could bring a bit of a premium.

johnboy,

FWIW, I have a sister to your NPM carbine. Mine is SN 4263xxx, I'm thinking made 2 or 3 of 43.
    It has a lot of original parts, but shows the effect of an upgrade at UEF.
    Barrel is IBM, no date
    Rear sight I.R.CO. 7160060
    Front sight marked RIA
    Slide marked N 15
    Short barrel skirt
    Bolt is flat, blued and marked N on right lug, 6 on the left
    Firing pin blue, marked SG
    Trigger marked LN
    Sear marked LN and no hole
    Trigger housing has beveled rear corners, marked N 6 on left side
    Hammer marked KR
    Safety is type II, no mark
    Mag catch marked HI
    Barrel band with lug is not marked
    The stock is a type II high wood converted to a type III low wood and I believe is original to the carbine. It is marked NPM over FJA (boxed) on the right side and .U. on the left. Sling well is marked TRIMBLE, over TN. Hand guard is also marked TN.

As you thought your carbine has been through a full rebuild. It dates to about March 1944. At that time a low wood stock would have been standard on your carbine.

Tuna,

You are right, 3-44. My bad on the typo.

Do you think the high wood on my stock was cut down by NPM before assembly, or by UEF in the upgrade?

Jim

Done during the rebuild as was standard by about 1948 at Underwood. It's funny that during rebuilding that some stocks were not cut down while others were. I would guess that the ones cut down were from later rebuilding.

Tuna, Thanks for your info. You are a valuable source here on the forums.

10. Default

Anyone:
    I have a NPM carbine, #4,311,98X, and the bbl. has no marks on it at all. I don't think it is a replacement as most all of it's other parts are correctly marked. Did NPM ever install unmarked bbl.? Benny.