Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Krag on GB

Default Krag on GB

I'm no expert, but I can't agree with the condition asserted for this rifle. Refinished metal, and the sharpness of the JLA cartouche bothers me; I see impression chips. Am I wrong?
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=387393482

Pretty nice looking rifle for the price - assume you are basing refinished statement on the too-blue receiver? Note considerable worn blue remaining on buttplate. Bubba would have reblued the whole thing, not left the trap (properly) casehardened.

I think the stock is OK too, though the SWP and (P) stamp applier certainly had eaten his Wheaties that morning. Seller is not an SA expert, but I have bought from him and would recommend him as being honest and fair. Rods and muzzle protector represent at least $100-$125 of the price (at today's levels).

In short, I've seen worse for more $$$.

Hope you wasn't planning on bidding on it Pentz. I've found letting others know about open auctions here can bring more attention to an item.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

4. Default

Arsenal refinish. Nice one.

Sling was made by Edward Raidt.

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    Hope you wasn't planning on bidding on it Pentz. I've found letting others know about open auctions here can bring more attention to an item.
    Oh no...Learned that lesson 30 years ago! Thanks 5MF, something just did not look right.

6. Default

Butt plate likely tells the story that this is an original rifle. Receiver does look a little blue, though. I vote for a nice original rifle . 5mf, real sling?

7. Default

Rebuilt Krag buttplates will have a blued door.

It should go for more then 627---saw one at a GS Sun that was not near as nice, lots of bright parts, 1400---he's dreaming ofcourse!

I've seen some really nice Krags; being a shooter, bore condition trumps all and my initial thrill has always been crushed upon dropping in my muzzle wear gauge and getting a "2" or more. The auctions with a muzzle gauge shown attract my attention. "Bright", "excellent" and "strong" (my favorite) are terms of art for most sellers.

Oh - and a thing about muzzle protectors. I've seen more than one rifle, in one case a drop-dead gorgeous K31, where the muzzle protector has inhibited air circulation and left a couple of inches of rusted bore. But that is just me...don't use them for storage!
    Last edited by Pentz; 01-21-2014 at 07:53.

10. Default

Also, beware of the clip on carbine sight protectors. More often than not the barrel/sight underneath will be rusted.