Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firing Pin

Default Firing Pin

Hey guys, question reguarding the Trapdoor firing pin. Is there supposed to be a spring on them? Mine has none and the firing pin looks ground on. Maybe not the right one?

I have no firing pin in my 1884 and mine fires perfectly. Rick B

I believe some early trapdoors had a spring for the firing pin. The correct firing for a spring would have a 'stop' to hold spring in place. If your firing pin has grind marks, it could have been the old style pin for use with a spring. What model trapdoor do you have including full serial number?

Default Rick, sir: Any chance you...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
    I have no firing pin in my 1884 and mine fires perfectly. Rick B
    ...omitted a word there? e.g. "spring" (I'm just trying to keep up with the class...) Geoff

5. Default

Early on they had springs. Those would break and then jam the firing pin in the forward position - with it firing when the block was closed.

Later they didn't have a spring. Resulting in the pin freezing in the forward position during Winter in the Northern reaches. This resulted in the gun firing when the block was closed.

Later they went to a special metals pin to avoid the freezing issue....

The .50 caliber, and early .45 cal TDs had pins with a sharp shoulder and spring, to minimize or eliminate possibility of a slam fire, but, it was found that the springs would rust and break, causing the pin to jam forward and possibly cause that which it was designed to prevent. Fix #1: eliminate the spring, but the pin could still rust to the block. Fix #2: Change pin to a non-ferrous alloy, which would not become stuck. This latter was the only feature from the positive cam trial of 1888 to be adopted.

7. Default

Freeze too....
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 01-12-2014 at 03:50.

Perhaps the only consequence was that noted by the washerwoman!

9. Default

Mine has no spring... But I have one of those custom two piece pins though..

The letter is very interesting as I live in Southern MN. I had wondered about the early models maybe having them. My TD is an 1873 model. I have no idea what could have been changed through out its life. When I took the pin out it just looked like someone had crudely ground the area behing the pointed end. It shoots just fine.