Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default O3 bolt question

I have an straight handle 19o3 bolt that looks to be marked either c7 or l3 depending what is up or down . It is marked on the side of the rear lug. Can any one tell me what is the proper serial number range that this bolt goes to? Thanks in advance.

When you say the "side" can you be more specific? Is it on the front of the safety lug, the top, or the bottom?

C7 was on the bottom of the safety lug, and, according to John Beard's bolt charts, was produced just before the switch to the safer forging method; I3 was marked on bolts manufactured in the 1910 period and is also the mark of a casehardened bolt; The stamp is also on the bottom of the safety lug.

Here is the link to Vishooter's website, that has John's bolt marking charts.

http://www.vishooter.net/m1903.html
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Hold the bolt in your hands with the locking lugs in your left hand and the handle in your right hand. Then while holding the bolt in that manner, rotate the bolt in your fingers and read the steel lot code on the bottom of the safety lug.

J.B.

p.s.,

For those interested in revealing information and like to play games, there's a hidden message in the statements above. See if you can figure out what it is. I will not disclose what it is, but I will confirm if someone discovers it.
    Last edited by John Beard; 01-12-2014 at 06:50.

Heck, I'll take a shot at it....this will orient the bolt so the number is read correctly and not upside down.

Kurt
    As the late Turner Kirkland was fond of saying, "If you want good oats, you have to pay the price. If you'll take oats that have already been through the horse, those come cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Heck, I'll take a shot at it....this will orient the bolt so the number is read correctly and not upside down.

Kurt
    That is correct. But that's not the hidden message. Take this observation to the next logical step.

J.B.

6. Default

Heat lot code can be read on bolt while remaining in receiver after opening action in the typical manner of operating bolt...

Quote Originally Posted by 03Rifleman View Post
    Heat lot code can be read on bolt while remaining in receiver after opening action in the typical manner of operating bolt...
    Nope. Good try!

J.B.

Quote Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
    That is correct. But that's not the hidden message. Take this observation to the next logical step.

J.B.
    Logic be damned, I have blisters on both hands now, how long does it take for the logic to follow?. LOL. Perhaps it's as simple as identifying which part of the safety lug is the bottom (where you will find the heat lot code and read it correctly). Numerous times its described as the side, or the bottom, or the back, or the lug, all in one sentence and depending oh how you look at it.

Seeking Obama care

Kurt
    As the late Turner Kirkland was fond of saying, "If you want good oats, you have to pay the price. If you'll take oats that have already been through the horse, those come cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Logic be damned, I have blisters on both hands now, how long does it take for the logic to follow?. LOL. Perhaps it's as simple as identifying which part of the safety lug is the bottom (where you will find the heat lot code and read it correctly). Numerous times its described as the side, or the bottom, or the back, or the lug, all in one sentence and depending oh how you look at it.

Seeking Obama care

Kurt
    "Logic" is a thought process, not a hand-waving exercise. So if the steel lot code is always in the same location and same orientation, what does that tell you?

www.healthcare.gov may be what you're seeking.

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 01-14-2014 at 10:32.

Quote Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
    "Logic" is a thought process, not a hand-waving exercise. So if the steel lot code is always in the same location and same orientation, what does that tell you?

www.healthcare.gov may be what you're seeking.

J.B.
    Logically it would dictate that the code is correctly read left to right when properly oriented and steel lot codes with few exceptions, consisted of an alpha letter followed by a numeric number in this location.

Healthcare.gov is illogical in concept and contrary to basic law which is supposed to be based on logic..or was at one time anyway. But, that's another topic...