Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 100x spotting scope?

Looking for at least a 100x spotting scope so I can see 22 cal. holes at 200 yards or better. But, I don't want to deflate my bank account at the same time. Any suggestions?
    Thank you
    Due to ammo shortages, no warning shot will be fired

There is a difference between magnification (e.g. 100x) and resolution (i.e., optical clarity or the sharpness of the image produced by the optics). A scope with high magnification and poor optical clarity will simply magnify a poor image that may still not allow you to see the bullet holes. One can manufacture a cheap scope with high magnification, but building a scope with excellent optical clarity is much more expensive. Swarovski is one of the best, but they sell for over $2000. You can find a vintage Baush & Lomb spotting scope for $200 to $300. They have great glass and come in different magnification levels. I routinely use mine with a 19.5x lens at 100 yards. I will try mine with a 25x and 36x lens and see if it will work at 200 yards.
    "Man is not free unless government is limited." -- Ronald Reagan

Another option is the "Lord Bury" telescope by J.H. Steward of London. These sell for around $300. This telescope was designed for checking targets of long range rifle competition shooting. It was "the telescope" in the Creedmoor matches. They have a unique pancratic lens which enables zooming the power from 20X to 40X. Telescope configuration is four draw with sun shade and blacked brass body. I use mine at the range. It fits perfectly into a British Mark V Signal Telescope Stand (WWI trench tripod).
    Last edited by cwbuff; 01-11-2014 at 06:56.
    "Man is not free unless government is limited." -- Ronald Reagan

Thank you gentlemen. It's another example of you get what you pay as far as quality.

Under ideal outdoor conditions, a half-way decent 20x scope will show .22 cal holes in a target at 200yds. A little mirage makes seeing shots in the black difficult while shots outside the bull may still be visible. Heavy mirage makes seeing .22 cal holes impossible even with the magnification you are asking for are because you are only magnifying the boil in the air; i.e. the air between you and your target is too disturbed to see through with the clarity to see .22" detail regardless of magnification or resolution.

Now, if you're shooting indoors at 200yds; a good 100x scope should be like looking at a 60" TV screen. Under those conditions, a 36x scope is more than adequate.
    Last edited by High Plaines Doug r; 01-13-2014 at 01:48. Reason: typo

Use a more reasonable power scope (25x to 40X) in conjunction with flourescent green disclosing targets.

Blog Entries

The older B & L Sr 60 spotting scopes come up from time to time on ebay. They could be had with 15X, 20X, 30X and 60X ocular lenses. With 60X focusing was critical but they produced a very clear image. I can't imagine needing 100X.

A fellow at the club used to use a reflecting telescope. I think it was about a 6" and he had the lens to make the image appear right side up. You could see the grain of the paper with it or a fly landing on the paper.

Might be time to change your approach to the problem.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-...-video-camera/

http://bullseyecamera.com

If the target is just paper, put a another backer behind it ti reflect h=thru the shot-holes.