1. Default Unusual rack number

One of the features of my recent high number RIA (RIA parts set assembled at Springfield) was a quite unusual rack number, 722, stamped in front of the top tang of the buttplate. There is also a crossways "trough" where it appears another rack number had been thoroughly removed with a rat tail rasp. Until recently, I had not seen this type of rack number configuration on ANY US long arm in the course of studying these things for the last forty years or so. Funny thing is, about the time I started looking at the rifle that's now in my collection another member here posted pics of another '03 with the same type of arrangement!

Some guys here have mentioned that a number that's firmly stamped into the wood is often indicative of naval use. At least in my particular rifle, the condition would bear this out...the metal approaches 100%, except for the buttplate (90%), yet the wood displays many small handling dings. Obviously a rifle which was handled much, but fired little...

Any of you have any thoughts about these numbers?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default

I just had another look at the photo that Jangle posted of his rifle on 11/15. The rack number on that rifle (also a RIA, from 1910,IIRC) follows exactly the same format: a three digit number (seems to be 626 on his rifle) stamped in front of the buttplate tang, right behind a transverse "trough" that was left from removing a previous number. The numbers on my rifle measure 5/16".

Some random thoughts: IF the presence of rack numbers stamped into the wood suggest US Navy use, could these numbers represent the number of the ship to which the rifle was assigned? For example, in the case of my rifle, could the number "722" be indicative of a previous home aboard the USS Barton (DD-722), a destroyer commissioned in 12/43?

Do any of you who might be USN vets have any recollections along this line?
    Last edited by jonnyo55; 01-10-2014 at 10:05.

Ships commissioned during WWII are most likely to be outfitted with 03A3's; less likely but possible, Remington '03's.

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    Resp'y,
    Bob S.

USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

4. Default

I'd never thought of wartime mfg. 03 and 03A3 rifles being issued as shipboard weapons, but that makes a lot of sense...

Default USN Ship markings

Back in Sept 8, 2005, Kirk posted some photos of a USN 1903 marked MISS 1928 in an oval stamp, also there was another MISS and a large white 154 all on the right side of the buttstock.

My photo shows another stock also marked MISS 1930 and has the DAL cartouche and a USMC shovel cover (off-set hooks) from the WW1 period also from the same ship.

The other stock is marked HONOLULU and with a deep impression and painted red. stock also has the DAL and SA over SPG stamps.

I believe these are USN ship markings from the post WW1 to pre WW2 period
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RCS; 01-12-2014 at 08:38.

US Navy marked stocks ,that can be identified to a craft, are very uncommon.I have found only a few.
    One stock ,marked "AG/49",I could identify to the USS Anacapa.The Anacapa was a US Navy "Q" ship,
    which plied the west coast waters from Mexico to Alaska.This ship has an extremely interesting history.
    Ed Byrns

Numbers over about 100 would be WAY too high for a rack number for ANY US Navy ship. They just didn't carry that many rifles. Remember that the Marine detachment rifles are USMC rifles, and would not be marked for the ship.

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    Resp'y,
    Bob S.

USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

8. Default

Thanks, Bob...that was partially my thinking as well. I've always wondered about high rack numbers like that (recall that the only other rack number of this type I've seen was "626")... that few installations other than major bases (of any service) would have that many rifles on hand. I've wondered if, say, the "722" number on my rifle might indicate something like "location 7, rifle 22".

My question was not necessarily only to determine whether or not this was a USN rifle, but also to open up a discussion of rack numbers in general. I'm sure I'm not alone in my curiosity as to "where it's been" involving our rifles, and if we know a little more about what a rack number tells us we can get that much further along in our knowledge.

So...I guess what I'd like to do is open up this discussion to all who have personal recollections or rifles with known provenances so that we can shed a little more light into this dark corner of US arms collecting...
    Last edited by jonnyo55; 01-13-2014 at 08:09.

Often the type of rack used to hold and secure the rifles might indicate the location of the rack number. We painted the rear handguards with white numbers for the A type of M1 rifle rack, easy to spot the number in this kind of rack. Often the wall rack will have a marking/rack number near the rear butt sling swivel or on the side of the buttstock, again easy to spot the rack number. Also have seen a combination of letter and number too