Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cartouche help...

I have a finger grooved stock which appears to have had the second stock bolt installed duing the over haul process. Aside from the proof mark, the only discernable mark is a boxed "PODM" on the left side forward of the wrist of the stock. The "M" is serified, the other letters are not. The "D" is only partialy visable, and it could possilbly be a different letter. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Default Philippine Ordnance Depot

Here is a photo of my Philippine Ordnance Depot rebuild stamp
    Attached Images Attached Images

That appears to be it! (With the exception of an "M" instead of a "D") The second cartouche I can barely make out, however your photo helped a lot. Something very similar is there, in the same position, but I can only make out portions of the letters. This has helped me out a bunch. It is attached to a 1910 Springfield Arsenal built rifle, no hatcher hole, straight bolt, etc. The stock bolts look like an after thought. Many thanks. My Dad was in the 31st Infantry in Korea, and went to the Phillipeans to recover the colors when it was stood back up in 1946 duirng the occupation after the war...befitting. Perhaps a "Polar Bear" once carried it in earnest.

4. Default

My guess is that the boxed "POD" stamp left room for another letter, which would be indicative of the individual facility. This would explain the different fonts used. I'm certainly no expert on Filipino ordnance facilities, but one could imagine that the "M" could stand for Manila. The "D"? I dunno...Darlac?

Stock bolt additions seemed to be a not unusual depot upgrade. I once had a VERY early RIA, I think the barrel date was 1906. The rifle was in NRA horrible condition...it LOOKED like it had been through more than one war. Regardless, it was all correct and original, with a straight side stock that sported not one, but two added stock bolts. The work was done none too neatly, either.....the holes looked like they had been gouged out with a nail.

Heh...the telling tale on the stock bolts on this one are the nuts. They do not appear to be installed uniformly, and they are staked differently than one other. It makes me appreciate the rifle all the more. The rifle as a whole is in good condition, and will look correct next to my M1904 McClellan packed for field service...which has been a whole 'nuther adventure in restoration. It has been a fourty year process. I'm not sure why it is so important to me, other than to say someone should find value in preserving a little part of the past. Finding a peice of wood, leather, or steel stamped "RIA" during someones garage sale is akin to winning the lottery. Thanks for the input!

On the POD rebuild stamp the other letter D or M or whatever, is the inspector

I have seen several POD stamps but virtually all of them were PODD.

The Philippine Ordnance Depot was located in Fort Santiago, in Manila. Finding a certified Philippines M1903 or M1917 is #!@ on my "want" list.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

There were some M1917 stocks in the USA with the POD rebuild stamp, could not get one !

I've got a PODD stock on a LN Rock Island - I'm just looking for a rifle or pistol with provenance to the Philippines.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

10. Default

Was the POD a US or RP facility?