Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Deer and maybe black bear. 50-250 yards if I hunt with a friend of mine who has a camp in Bradford County. 50-150 yards most of the time.
    Ironically, my local shop told me that his distributor only lists the S2 stainless in 300 Win Mag, not the 30-06. However, Weatherby lists the 30-06 in stainless as well.

A 30-06 for that type of game and at those ranges is more than enough gun. Either one will work but I would suggest a 165 grain or 180 grain "well constructed) bullet in either. Enjoy your hunt.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by wstrayer View Post
    Deer and maybe black bear. 50-250 yards if I hunt with a friend of mine who has a camp in Bradford County. 50-150 yards most of the time.
    Ironically, my local shop told me that his distributor only lists the S2 stainless in 300 Win Mag, not the 30-06. However, Weatherby lists the 30-06 in stainless as well.
    I know that area well I, so I understand your wanting to up grade to a magnum. Depending on how and where you hunt, you can get some pretty long shots. In addition, if you get a chance to do some long range hunting, you will have a more capable rifle. Given the choices you mention, I'd opt for the 300 Win Mag. It is tried and true with respect to accuracy and ammo availability will pose no problem if you need to buy some. Bradford and surrounding counties are pretty rural and finding ammo for the other 30 cal magnums could be problematic. Whereas, just about every store in the country has 300 Win Mag.