Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default pulling bullets in M2 .30 cal

how hard is it to do?

im going to get a Forster bullet puller to do this on my 550b...

ive got lots of rounds i want to use the primed cases for some other loads (better bullet)...

It's pretty tough because of the hardened asphalt sealant applied to the bullets during seating. It's usually easier if you can break the seal first by seating them about .010" deeper before trying to pull them down. Still, no picnic.

Get a RCBS Inertia (hammer style) Bullet Puller. Inexpensive, and a few good hard whacks on a solid surface (work bench, floor, etc.) should do it. I've pulled several HXB M2, and a few US M2 Ball bullets with it... no problems.

4. Default

I have used both a Hornady or Forster collet type puller and an RCBS inertial puller. The latter might work, but I've never done a bunch of them, I can recall needing to use the collet puller and you may have to follow Parashooters prescription for the long haul.

ive got the inertia puller. it can be a real pain to do even .223 with no crimp or sealant...

ill have to give it a try. i hope i can find my .30 cal collar...

Blog Entries

I'd use parashooter's method, but just to add that with the inertia puller I hit a 40 lb. dumbbell. I'd use an anvil if I had one close to my loading bench.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

I use the Hornady Cam-Loc bullet puller. I've pulled several thousands bullets and don't use the hammer type inertia puller any more. It isn't worth the effort. I'll wager I can pull three to five bullets while your knocking out just one. For the ammo sealed with pitch, just set the seater die down a bit to break the seal and on to the Cam -Loc puller.

8. Default

I realize we're living in an unusual time when it comes to ammo and components, but the easiest and probably most productive in terms of improving your shooting, would be to shoot them out practicing Standing.

Between the crimp, the sealant, and 40 years of storage those bullets are likely going to be a cast-iron b!tch to pull. Then when you're all done you'll have a pile of bullets (maybe now with pull marks) that weren't much good for anything but Standing practice in the first place.

Mexican matching makes sense if you're shooting issue M72 or M118 and want to replace that mediocre USGI 173gr FMJ with a 168gr Sierra MatchKing. Otherwise not so much, at least not to me

Maury

I usually hit my inertia puller on the concrete floor in my basement... and I agree that the military rounds DO take a few more whacks than others. I'm just not familiar with other types of pullers, and I never pull that many bullets anyway. I'd trust Parashooter's advice... I've always found him to be a pretty straight shooter (pun intended).

I like Maury's advice best.