Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

TDP, your series mark looks more like a 22 than a 20 to me. Also, Monopods and Action Dust Covers (both original and aftermarket) are available. Not a bad looking 99 though... and with a full mum to boot!

My Toyo Kogyo Series 31 has the mum, along with the Dust Cover, Monopod, Chrome Bore, Anti-Aircraft sight, etc. The only thing I'm missing is the sling. My Nagoya Series 7 is ground and sporterized into a hunting rifle... but still shoots awesome!

It very well may be a Series 22... the symbols are pretty similar, and I just sorta guessed as to which one I thought it looked like the most! The barrel on mine is pretty rough though... and I haven't made my mind up if I want to shoot it yet or not- which hasn't been too much of an issue since I have yet to be able to find ammo for it.

I picked it up for $150 a month ago, so if it ends up just being for show that is fine with me. I'll eventually pick up a monopod, and keep my eyes open for a leather sling as well...

San Clemente, Ca Within earshot of the sound of freedom from Camp Pendleton

"TDP, your series mark looks more like a 22 than a 20 to me." PS I think you are right. In that case it would put production at IV of 42 to II of 43.
    Dean (the other one)
    OFC-Orange Co. Ca Chapter

Those Arisaka Series markings a sometimes a pain to decipher!

Have you tried to scrub the bore? Run a 32 caliber brush soaked with Hoppes No. 9, and give it a good scrubbing. Arisakas have pretty good steel, so the barrel should clean up enough to regain some accuracy. As for ammo, you can always order Norma 7.7 Jap ammo from Cheaper Than Dirt or Midway. Also, you can order Norma brass from Cheaper Than Dirt and load for it. Standard 7.7 x 58 mm ammo uses a .312 dia 174 grain boat tailed FMJ bullet (same bullet as the .303 British). Most loading manual will have load data for this.

My wood has about the same coloring that yours has but mine is quite a bit scratchier. Yours is prettier. I've got two bayonets but no cleaning rod. Would like to get a rod for it, don't really know why, but I would. Mine shoots really well with either bullet and about 40.0 grns of varget give or take a little.

Quote Originally Posted by psteinmayer View Post
    Standard 7.7 x 58 mm ammo uses a .312 dia 174 grain boat tailed FMJ bullet (same bullet as the .303 British). Most loading manual will have load data for this.
    I have a friend that loaded almost exclusively for .303 and 7.7 because he could use the same projectiles and load data for both.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Deano41- I see you are in San Clemente, I gotta say, I definitely miss my time living there with 5th Marines. Very nice little surf town!

On the left side of the rifle, it looks like there was possibly some or of writing, almost like Japanese characters... kinda interesting.
    Attached Images Attached Images