Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

well the serial No is at the back of the receiver on top, it doesn´t have the treaded holes for optional sights, it really doesn´t have any particular way to put any scope or red dot sights and yes it is rusty because it´s been in the family for a very long long time and its been held on to me now, so they didn´t take good care........it fires great, no hassle at all.

2. Default

I´m gonna take it to the gunsmith and have it fixed and parkerizad.........what is this BUBBATYPE thing anyway ?

If you can list most of the serial number we can tell you who made it if it's a USGI carbine. A Bubba gun is one that someone went and worked it over. Many were done by the owner and they look terrible or the work was very poorly done. Others like your were most likely done by a gunsmith as the quality of the work is much higher. Back in the early to mid 1960's it was not unusual for someone to have a surplus rifle converted to a different form and that is what happened with your carbine. If the rust is just on the surface you can use bronze wool and oil to gently remove the rust.

4. Default

Thanks a lot TUNA.....unfortunately the serial No is worn out, I don´t know if it is age worn or intentionally erased....thing is it belonged to my grandfather and he was a member of the army forces down here in my country in the early 60´s.....so all I know it is a M1 carbine, still fires great but it laks of the rear sights, everithing works great and I want to change and get a new stock....like a tactical one and perhaps a red dot scope but for that I will have to take to the gunsmith.....any how thanks a lot for your help----

5. Default

also in the fron of the receiver it is written "U.S. carbine .30 caliber"

I'm thinking that if the parts in the trigger group are stamped with any of the various USGI maker marks, then it's probably a USGI carbine that has been "Bubba'd" roughly to the pattern the HOWA commercial product.( I'm assuming that HOWA made their own parts with whatever company stamps they might place on them). The carbine pictured at the website indicated in my 1st post has what appears to be Williams open sight on its barrel, not the HOWA ramp sight shown in the HOWA 300 owner's manual. It's possible too that a small domestic shop made up a very limited number of these HOWA 300 pattern guns, respective to having the rear sight of some sort on the barrel, using USGI carbines. It was a common practice back in the 1950's & 60's to try and convert surplus military guns into something resembling a commercial product. For example, an M1917 U.S. Enfield could have no higher calling than to be tricked out to look like one of the commercial Model 30 Remington variants.

7. Default

outstanding explanation.....now, it does have a mark in the inside of the slider wich is "P1" or "PI" and in the outside there is another mark "C" and a number and under the barrel there is a bunch of letters and numbers disorderly place : H Y 2 M and two number 2 upsidedows kinda wird.....

What keeps the barreled action from recoiling out of the stock when you fire it. Traditional carbines have the upper handguard with the barrel band to secure the action?

The barrel and slide are both Inland. There is a good chance the receiver is Inland too. Howa did not mark parts on any of their carbines. In fact the military ones made for Thailand, the only marking is an H on the bottom of the barrel. The commercial carbines are marked Howa. I think the screw for the front sling swivel attaches to something that is attached to the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by papadura6969 View Post
    outstanding explanation.....now, it does have a mark in the inside of the slider wich is "P1" or "PI" and in the outside there is another mark "C" and a number and under the barrel there is a bunch of letters and numbers disorderly place : H Y 2 M and two number 2 upsidedows kinda wird.....
    I believe that PI stamped slides were made by Inland, one of the WWII contractors.