Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

.....unfortunately the serial No is worn out, I don´t know if it is age worn or intentionally erased…

Sounds like trouble…?

Sounds more like it was buffed when the carbine was reblued. No uncommon with post war rebuilding to sporting use military rifles. Many of the old NRA and DCM carbines were converted when they were first bought years ago. This seems to be the case down in Central America too.

It's nearly a year old.
    Spelling and grammar count!

I was thinking more of the ATF and firearms with a serial number removed.

Quote Originally Posted by 70ish View Post
    I was thinking more of the ATF and firearms with a serial number removed.
    Yep. Possession of a firearm with the serial number removed is a federal felony, and can get you some hard time in the house of do-right. The very least that would happen if you get caught with it is that it will be confiscated. There is also most likely a state law where you live that makes it a state crime to own such a gun.
    Tickets, Please!

The original poster is in Central America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Conductor View Post
    Yep. Possession of a firearm with the serial number removed is a federal felony, and can get you some hard time in the house of do-right. The very least that would happen if you get caught with it is that it will be confiscated. There is also most likely a state law where you live that makes it a state crime to own such a gun.
    Talk about getting your panties in a wad. I have a Remington Nylon 66 from the mid 60's. Bought it new---it has no serial number and was made that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    The original poster is in Central America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I bought some M1 carbine barrels from a seller on ebay years ago. They are all commercial with most being the original Universal version (USGI compatible), Plainfield, one PMC, one that was never rifled (tight-measures .280), some that were made from surplus 1903 barrels (2 grove and 4 grove), and a few others that are unmarked. They were all heavily used and most have nasty bores from foreign ammo. Some have dovetails professionally cut on them. I asked the seller WTF, where did these come from? I bought about 100, all from the same seller and they all appeared to have come from the same source because they all had a black tar like residue (not cosmoline) in the bores from the nasty foreign ammo. Some had what looks like yellow paint in the bores??? Anyway, the seller said the only info he had was that they came from the "Bay of Pigs" conflict. I don't know if the U.S. supplied these carbines or what. This seller also had 100's of late Inland receivers, all demilled. He had no GI barrels and no commercial demilled receivers. My point is, maybe there is a connection between my little stash and the gun mentioned in this thread being from Central America. Perhaps the U.S. gave guns to Cuba and CA for their conflicts?
    Last edited by Allen; 10-07-2014 at 06:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Talk about getting your panties in a wad. I have a Remington Nylon 66 from the mid 60's. Bought it new---it has no serial number and was made that way.
    Nothing in a wad here. Missed the part that he was in Central America.

No problem with your Remington. Rifles and shotguns were not required to have serial numbers until 1968.
    Tickets, Please!

It's not a problem to have a gun with no serial number . It IS a problem to have one with the number removed or altered .
    Chris