Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default rapid fire reload

looking for advice from others matching shooters what technique do you use for rapid fire reload during the vintage matches with your krag I am used to an 03 and obviously an ar but I'd like to know what technique to use to reload the five rounds within the allotted time you get for rapid fire. thank you for any input

2. Default

I cant the rifle to the left, then grab 2 rds from the box, drop them in (making sure the rims are well in the rear of the opening, otherwise the bullet noses hang up on the front and fall in diagonally), grab 2 more and drop them in, then the last rd. Shut the gate and drive on. Never had a problem with it. There are a number of methods, probably faster than mine, but the key is, as with all things, to practice, practice, practice. Using dummy rounds of course. Best of luck!

There are plans out there for a 5-round charger that works well with the Krag (Parashooter and Madsenshooter... please feel free to chime in here), but in the last two Vintage Rifle matches at Camp Perry, I did about the same thing as M2Phil... Tilt slightly to the left with the gate open. Where we differ is I grab all five rounds. If you're careful, and practice, you can drop the five rounds in, close the gate, and bang away! My trick is to lay the five rounds on the mat with the rims overlapping so when I pick them up all at once, they are already in the correct orientation.

You should make some dummy rounds of what you'll shoot to practice with (I shoot 220 gr round nosed, so I made ten dummy rounds with 220 gr bullets for practicing). Don't plan to shoot 180 grain spritzers, and practice with 110 grain... if you do, then you'll have problems on game day! Always practice with your competition setup!

Where are you located Rick? I'm in Southeast Michigan, and I'm always up for going shooting, and always happy to help too!

Paul

Oops... Guess Para was posting at the same time as I was, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by psteinmayer View Post
    . . .Don't plan to shoot 180 grain spritzers. . .
    There you go again with the wine and seltzer!

OFGS... This stupid auto correct! That's the second time it did this!

Im in arizona but if you want to drive out im sure dragonfly and i would go shooting lol

On a side not does anyone know where i can find that charger thing videoded above?

I use a charger loosely based on parashooters design. It spritzes em in there with one finger. Used to a 60 second limit, I have lots of time left with an 80 second limit.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

10. Default

I use a Mosin-nagant stripper clip. I open the gate and tilt the rifle slightly to the left . The stripper clip is the cheap Tapco one which holds the Krag rounds loose enough so that I can push them in with just one finger.
    Gib