Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    Chris is right I think. It was standard practice years ago to drill out the primer pocket for a load that could be used indoors or down in the basement. Many loaded the case with a wax bullet powered just by the primer.
    I used to shoot with a old fella that would load a .30 carbine with crayons and shoot in his basement. He said he liked the red ones best as it was easier to see when they hit his target. By the way he was one of the best shots at the club with that carbine.

Wow Matt. Just WOW!!

If that doesn't scare the crap out of any young shooters wanting to get into handloading, nothing will. But, you forgot to include asteroids, and global warming, and Obamacare, and . . .

Quote Originally Posted by raymeketa View Post
    Wow Matt. Just WOW!!

If that doesn't scare the crap out of any young shooters wanting to get into handloading, nothing will. But, you forgot to include asteroids, and global warming, and Obamacare, and . . .
    Well Ray, it certainly didn't the scare the crap out of you, you wanted me to fill those cases and shoot them! You pathetic chicken sh-t arm chair liberal! Forget your asteroids, false global warming mind you and your beloved Obamacare, stick to the reloading manual information and don't tell someone to do something you yourself wouldn't do! Or maybe you would be so stupid to do what you asked me to do! How dare you write something so against all safety standards and protocal. You should be ashamed of yourself my friend!
    Before someone does something stupid, one should warn others of impending problems they see and know about. It's not to frighten, it's to educate so a mistake doesn't happen. What the heck is wrong with that? I'll tell you Ray, NOTHING AT ALL! I suppose passing the AHC bill (obamacare) was OK before reading it, well it wasn't OK, and before anyone starts reloading they should know all aspects of the procedures, so they don't kill themselves and someone else!
    It's about time people take a stand and start telling the truth about procedures and stop being so worried about being politically correct! Hope you have a nice holiday Ray, along with your family and close friends.
    Matt
    "When you tax away the rewards of effort, you destroy the motivation to achieve"

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Anthony View Post
    . . .What if I had done what you suggested and . . . part of my 45 shot through my neck cutting my carotid artery and I layed there as my blood ran all over the range floor, ruining everyone's day and then I expired!
    I guess we could call you a red-neck - at least until someone cleaned you up!

Seriouslly, though, I empathize with Ray's position opposing an example of the incessant shrill alarmist tone found on every handloading forum I've seen. There are too many of us emphasizing exaggerated dangers and not enough promulgating a reasoned and encouraging approach to the art.

After the holidays, I'll open up a few .45 ACP flash holes and see what effect it has on firing an otherwise normal load. I suspect it won't be much in this fairly low-intensity cartridge.

5. Default

From OP: "I checked all 1450 cases and came up with 33 Winchester and 14 Federal. These were once fired cases taken from our range."

Ok, so 3.2 percent of what I assume may have been free range brass had the large flash holes. If someone modified them, I guess they were not once fired. In any event, just sort them out and don't shoot them. If they were free you are still a winner. If not maybe you can get a discount if they are not within proper specifications.
    Last edited by Hefights; 12-22-2013 at 10:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Hefights View Post
    From OP: "I checked all 1450 cases and came up with 33 Winchester and 14 Federal. These were once fired cases taken from our range."

Ok, so 3.2 percent of what I assume may have been free range brass had the large flash holes. If someone modified them, I guess they were not once fired. In any event, just sort them out and don't shoot them. If they were free you are still a winner. If not maybe you can get a discount if they are not within proper specifications.
    I get thousands of cases each month from two police ranges and our club. I recycle probably 30 lbs. a month in dented, split, primer blowout and cases which have loose pockets. It's not the fact that on this batch I am losing 3.2%, I let go another 150 for other reasons. I posted about the fact there wasn't enough material to support a primer, that was my concern and the fact that when comparing other flash holes, some of the W/W and Federal had larger than normal flash holes. I'm sorry I used the words disturbing and warning, evidently some readers don't like those words, alarming is another word that strikes fear in the hearts of sensitive reloaders. I am so sick of "political correctness", I could puke!
    I read the last two posts, one from you and the other from parashooter. I have read for years both of your posts and both of you are very well educated in reloading and I have enjoyed reading your replies to others.
    My post was intended to be informational on what I observed when sorting brass. I wasn't asking anyone if I should use them or reload them. I have sold brass for 40 years and know what to sell to others, and enlarged flash holed brass gets tossed. If it's larger than .090 it's history. Thanks for all the great advice!
    Matt
    "When you tax away the rewards of effort, you destroy the motivation to achieve"

7. Default

Hey man its all good. Merry Christmas!

Both of You... Go to Your rooms !!

Quote Originally Posted by Varmintpopper View Post
    Both of You... Go to Your rooms !!
    I did go to my room and thought about the entire thread and why I bothered to post something that I found profoundly odd. Not a worry, I won't post anymore, it's not a problem at all! And the pictures of the flash holes, why bother, most would say they were drilled or speculate other fairy tale ways they could of become this way! Who cares!
    Matt

Blog Entries

I'd still like to see a picture or have you relate what the measured diameter of the holes are.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur