Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Million to one shot squib load

See pics look at the muzzle
    a first for me
    my reload seems had no powder or very little but pushed bullet to the end of the barrel
    I tapped it out with a cleaning rod and will be weighting the rest of that lot of reloads just in case their are more.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Johnny in Texas; 12-19-2013 at 04:04.

That situation is why I don't use loading blocks. As soon as I place the powder in the case, it goes directly to my single press and the bullet is seated. Takes a bit longer but it is my way of avoiding a squib. I know others will disagree with me in the use of a loading block.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

I use reloading blocks & after loading with powder, I always check looking down in case with flash-light before I start seating bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by older than dirt View Post
    I use reloading blocks & after loading with powder, I always check looking down in case with flash-light before I start seating bullets.
    I do it prety much the same way. Cases are in plastic tub, pick one and charge then to the loading block. I don't need a flashlight because I have three two tube, 4 foot fluorescent lights above loading bench.

Yep , same way I do it .
    With pistol / ball powders , the primed and ready cases are in a plastic box on one side of the measure . I grab one , charge it , then put it in the tray.
    With 30-06 and IMR4895 , I dump the powder in a pan , weigh it , trickle up to spec. , grab my funnel with a case in it , flip it right-side-up , add powder , slip it into tray , flip funnel back over , add next case from box into it neck down , return empty pan back under the measure. My reloading set up is in a "U" shape with a swivel chair . When all three trays are full ( 180 rds ) , I recheck them and move over to the press table.
    Never give the squib an even chance.
    Chris

6. Default

I know how squibs occur the point of the post was that a squib load bullet from a .308 round moved to the end of the barrel and stopped with 3/16ths protruding.

7. Default

I just got done taking 14 pellets out of the barrel of an air rifle. The kid who did it, a pretty decent shot, told me that "there's something wrong, I keep missing the whole target." We had a little talk about looking for the source of a problem and not just keep thinking the problem would go away by loading the next pellet. I'm glad he called me when he did or he would have had the whole barrel full of pellets. As it was, it took 3 hours to get them all out. I'm also very glad it wasn't a squib load in a firearm, it was a good teaching moment.

8. Default

When I said first I meant 308 squib my first was 4 .30 carb bullets in a Ruger single action 1 squib 3 hot rounds. I was 17 then and Ruger replaced the barrel for 30 dollars. This time it was just a Phoof sound so I new not to chamber another round.

9. Default

It does look pretty strange with the bullet kinda-sorta "prairie dogging" its nose out the muzzle. As you say, probably couldn't do it again in a million tries.

But are you sure it was a squib (ie, short charge)?

Could there have been some other culprit (eg, contaminated primer or powder)? Any unburned powder or excessive soot/fouling?

Or are you sure it was a flaw in your loading technique/brain cramp?

Maury

PS - I've seen a range's rental 6in S&W Model 10 filled with wadcutters from forcing cone to muzzle

10. Default

It was a NO powder round as best I can tell. Thanks, the case came out ease only went PHEWF no Boom when I pulled the trigger.