Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks Allen for you comments about your experience.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

Or John, you can do like John Wayne did in his movie 'Green Beret', break it in against a tree. 8-/
    Due to ammo shortages, no warning shot will be fired

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

I've done the break in on about 3 rifles I own. The rest of them I just SHOT EM. Their is no perceivable difference between my "service rifle ar 15 DPMS brand with wilson barrel" vs my "rock river arms target ar 15 w/ krieger barrel". I have a 3rd upper that has an unknown barrel on it that is 1/7 twist and it shoots 1 MOA also.
    I've had numerous "praire dog" rifles (bolt action remington 700's and savage brand) and their is NO DIFFERNCE.
    Clean it sparingly, NEVER use a stainless steel bore brush on it, and NEVER let an AMMONIA based solvent sit in the barrel for more then 3 minutes and you will be A-OK.
    Follow Maury and Don above.
    More barrels are damaged by cleaning then anything else. Always protect the CROWN of the barrel also.
    Last edited by Former Cav; 02-03-2014 at 10:05.

Broom Jockey, I don't consider that a break in, more like a broken. Besides, I personally have never found a bad rifle. I seem to classify them as accurate, very accurate and extremely accurate. Based on that, all rifles are good, just some are better than others. One fellow says that bullet only goes where the rifle is pointed so I guess you have to know how to point that rifle in the right direction all or most of the time to get it to perform.

Lets face it, if for example you do all your hunting with 100 yards, and all that rifle will do is hold a 6 inch group, it will still put meat on the table. That could be called accurate. However it would never be considered accurate for a guy shooting target at that same distance.

The reason I originally asked the question about barrel break in is ( as stated) that I have never purchased a new rifle before and was surprised that Rock River said break in was not required. Having heard so many different methods for barrel break in I though I would ask my fellow posters here on Culver for their opinions.

Thank again to all who took time to contribute their methods and opinions.

John
    Last edited by JohnMOhio; 02-03-2014 at 11:47.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.