Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The threads on mine look a bit dicey, but the ramrod does screw into the holder in the stock. However, when and if I find the wiper, I will have to be careful if I try to screw it on. I take it for granted that threads on firearms are never going to be standard, and I have quite a large collection of taps and dies.

Am confused by statement re "ramrod does screw into the holder in the stock". What holder?

I thought we were talking about "M1888" rod bayonets - did we switch rifles?

They don't screw in - in fact, the Model 1866 .50-70 was the last model of TD to have a screw-in rod; everything after that "snaps" in in some fashion, though the four rod-bayonets are threaded for the wiper tip (but not for the HSE, a popular misconception).

Could be that the wiper SHOULD be attached to the RRB when one attempts to remove a headless shell . . . In order to AVOID buggering up the threads (as in Crispy's case).

I'd wager the soldier was instructed to use the HSE with the bayonet point down the bore FIRST . . . But we all know someone would invariably use it with the threaded end in first!

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Am confused by statement re "ramrod does screw into the holder in the stock". What holder?

I thought we were talking about "M1888" rod bayonets - did we switch rifles?

They don't screw in - in fact, the Model 1866 .50-70 was the last model of TD to have a screw-in rod; everything after that "snaps" in in some fashion, though the four rod-bayonets are threaded for the wiper tip (but not for the HSE, a popular misconception).
    Dick-You are right. I thought I felt it screw in, but it does not. I just checked. It just stuck in there a little bit like it was being held by a thread.