Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Is the inspection stamp on the left side of the reciever in front of the serial number H.A. ? And is it in the503491 - 503960 range?

Regards

Gunner
    On the left in front of the serial number is B.F. The serial number is 507XXX.

AJ

Southern Bavaria , between castles and mountains

B.F. is the inspector stamp from Birger Fagergren an artillery officer. He was the inspector at CG plant from ca. the middle of 1923 and all of 1924. Your rifle must be made somewhere between september and october 1923. Nice looking one!

Regards

Gunner
    The services of the great ones are dangerous and not worth the trouble they cost. Lessing, G.E.

B.F. is the inspector stamp from Birger Fagergren an artillery officer. He was the inspector at CG plant from ca. the middle of 1923 and all of 1924. Your rifle must be made somewhere between september and october 1923. Nice looking one!

Regards

Gunner
    Thanks for the information. Thank you it is a nice looking one.....I looked for several years before I bought this one.

The swede`s are well liked rifles over here for their very good accuracy and specially the rifle 1896 with their opportunities to use the different diopters like Pram and Söderin. I own a m38 carbine wich i like for its accuracy. Enjoy shooting it.

Regards

Gunner
    The services of the great ones are dangerous and not worth the trouble they cost. Lessing, G.E.

The swede`s are well liked rifles over here for their very good accuracy and specially the rifle 1896 with their opportunities to use the different diopters like Pram and Söderin. I own a m38 carbine wich i like for its accuracy. Enjoy shooting it.

Regards

Gunner
    If I ever find a rifle set up for the diopters, I'll probably buy it.

Very wise decision!

Only way to have a chance against the LE´S, except you are eagle eyed.

Regards

Gunner

7. Default

Some of the '96 rifles retain the yellow tape showing "hold over" or whatever it was. The first '96 I purchased has that sticker.

One of the '38s I purchased has some kind of target sight. I'd have to drag it out. I seem to remember there was more than one kind.

I prefer the full length '96 over the '38s. One of the '38s is a conversion and one as made IIRC.

The second '96 was kind of a funny purchase. Guy had a table full of Mausers of various types. It was about closing time and as I walked by I noticed it. "A beautiful Swede!" I exclaimed. He smiled and named a price. $175 later it was mine.

Yes it was a hold over sticker for the old m/94 round, the new m/41 round had an lighter bullet and more speed.

Congratulations. I think you are going to love this rifle. I, myself, own 5 Swedes of various models. They are one of my favorite rifles to shoot in competition.

The wood of the Swede you purchased is European Beech. It was the favorite wood for most Euro Mausers. Many other woods were used however.

Also, as someone stated before, you can't always count on the brass disc. However, I have found them to be correct most of the time. If yours is accurate, it is indicating a new barrel installation at its last visit to a Swedish armorer.

I have three myself, a 96 and a 38 both in beautiful condition and a 96 with mismatched numbers that I had.....GASP......Sporterized. Before we all lose our cool, I bought it specifically for that purpose and looked for one with many mismatching numbers, the bolt and receiver are matched but not much else is. I bought it at a gun show about 15 years ago from a big bin of Swedes with banged up stocks.

I cut the barrel 5 inches, had it re-crowned, the bolt turned down, drilled and tapped for weaver mounts and I put a synthetic stock on it. Splurged for a Leopold Vari-X II 2X7 scope and found it shoots so well and so accurately I used it for antelope. Knocked down a really nice antelope in Wyoming a few years ago using Nosler 120 gr. Ballistic Tips. One shot and it was like the rug got pulled out from under him.

Love my swede mausers.