Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default M73B1 Parts Scope?

I just picked this up online and just received it about an hour ago. The pictures were sort of hard to tell the originality of it. But as soon as I looked at it in person, I'm pretty sure this is a parts scope. I haven't messed with the A4 in years, so I want to make sure I am not wrong in my assumption as I'm sure I've forgotten more than I remember on the A4.

Looking at the scope, I think the whole thing has been refinished. I think the tube has been possibly been re-blued. And the data plate and eyepiece seem to be phosphate. Which I don't think anything was ever phosphated on the M73B1, even late production. So that would mean for sure refinished. The serial number on the side appears to be finished over, and it has Telescope M73B2 under the serial and it appears to be almost gone except it is halfway visible in the right light.

Also I can't get it to focus right. The optics are pretty clear, but it won't focus. I would imagine to focus it, you would just turn the objective, but it makes no difference at all. I had a few M73b1's back in the day and I don't remember ever having trouble getting them to focus. It's just very blurry. So I imagine it needs to be serviced. I think ironsight used to do it, but I think it was about a $100 and a year wait. And I have the patience of a teenager on this stuff. So I don't know if anyone else does it faster?

But I would imagine this is a parts scope that has been refinished. Am I correct? If it is, I might just see if the seller would take it back . What do you guys think?

Last edited by cplnorton; 12-04-2013 at 11:48.

Here is another pic.

Hey guys if you could give your opinions on the scope. I think it is a rebuild/refinished/parts scope. But I think the seller is at more of an impression it is original. I paid pretty much an original scope price for it, but he said if others think it's a rebuild we could re-negotiate on a price of it. And I'm sure if he were to do that, he would like more than just my opinion on it, so he doesn't feel that I'm just blowing smoke at him. But I did pull more pics online and put them side by side with mine. From the ones in the past I had, and comparing it to this one, I just feel this is a rebuild. What do you guys say? He will be reading this, as I've sent him the link.

Last edited by cplnorton; 12-05-2013 at 03:37.

If it's not refinished , how did the etched numbers get dark ?
    Chris

The electro pencilled nomenclature on the side of scope # 22392 (beneath the s/n) is fake and should not be there. The nomenclature is already roll stamped on the data plate. If the nomenclature actually says "M73B2" the person who did it is or was ignorant in the extreme.

Regards,
    Jim

No I'm sorry Jim, I typed it wrong when I put M73B2, I meant M73B1.

I wrote ironsight today about the focusing issue and they said it was about a 14 month wait to get it repaired, and that combined with what it is, I think at this point the seller is going to return it. I appreciate everyone's help on this. I just didn't want the seller thinking I was feeding him a line.

Quote Originally Posted by jgaynor View Post
    The electro pencilled nomenclature on the side of scope # 22392 (beneath the s/n) is fake and should not be there. The nomenclature is already roll stamped on the data plate. If the nomenclature actually says "M73B2" the person who did it is or was ignorant in the extreme.

Regards,
    Jim
    Not true , but close. This is an early tube with the serial number etched that has a later data plate on it that was park'ed and NOS . The serial #s themselves were not roll stamped but were electro pencilled on the plate . This plate was unused so not pencilled . At best , this is a rebuilt or repaired USGI scope , at worst , a civilian put together . Due to the fact that it has problems , I'd lean toward the latter , someone put it together who didn't know how or didn't have all the parts.
    Chris

Emmagee, by the time Weaver was roll stamping the words "SERIAL NO." on the side of the tube the "M73B1" nomenclature had moved to the data plate where it was also roll stamped. So the combination of electro-penciled "M73B1" nomenclature below the stamped "SERIAL NO." doesn't compute.

FWIW I believe i can make out a trace of a serial number in the "32XXX" on the 3rd model's data plate. The marks appear very faint under the new finish but an s/n in the 3XXXX range is what you would expect for a 3rd model M73B1.

Regards,

Jim

9. Default

I've did some pictures for you today to compare. They're all M73B1 scopes, except for the first being a Weaver 330C. All of the scopes come from the 480 Lend-Lease M1903A4 rifles which were given to the Austrian Army after WWII. Those rifles were freshly rearsenaled, most in Springfield Armory.
    Attached Images Attached Images