Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

WELL, HERE IS THE START!
    The more i investigate these things and all the variations the more intriguing it all gets. guess a trip to my local library is in order (the woman shudders when i give her the next title, but she always comes thru, they had to go to a different state one time to get a book, but the UNC Library system and its share program is a tax dollar i support)
    but here are my three entries into the Collection world, do three make a collection?

i paid 87.00 us dollars for the bottom one about 9 years ago, pretty accurate at 100 yards, very loud, and a helluva whack on the old shoulder
    Last edited by pelago; 12-12-2013 at 11:26.

"…..do three make a collection?"

LOL I have some "collections" with one item.
    A man with a sword may talk of peace.A man with out a sword may talk of peace,but he must talk very fast indeed.

Blog Entries

I'm not into foreign milsurps but I do know Doug Bowser. PM sent with his phone number, he loves to talk about Mosins.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

i hate it when i stumble into something that makes me look deeper and deeper into the subj
    saw this page and the man said that this was NOT a comprehensive list of variants? hell they even made a 410 shotgun in the balkans out of this action!
    http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRef01.htm
    Now i find out that the rifles were shimmed for accurace and i look at the most recent one and think and wonder and say WTH
    now to clear the work bench and take it apart and look see
    and to think i thought Mauser collecting would be bad to start

Shooter5 Guest

Last edited by Shooter5; 12-26-2013 at 07:56.

Oh, speaking of white death, and to perk you interest more, the most successful sniper EVER was a Finn. Although, his kills and the term "sniper" are kind of questionable when combined as he was fond of hunting Russians with iron sights and is rumored to have used a submachinegun as well. However, 505 of his kills were confirmed and accumulated in 100 days.

A classic case of an attacker underestimating his opponent and home field advantage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

7. Default

Very nice Mosin collection. I have the M38 and M39, but sold the PU snipers. The scope is too high for my taste. The open bridge limits how the scope can be mounted.

The M39 is one of the most accurate bolt action military rifles of WW2. Create some handloads using Sierra 174 gr MatchKings or .311 Sierra 180s and you will see why.

Look for a 40's vintage Tikka or VKT M91 next. Keep your eye open for earlier ones as well.

Here's something to add to your Finn rifle,the maintenance tools-

A man with a sword may talk of peace.A man with out a sword may talk of peace,but he must talk very fast indeed.

Shooter5 Guest

I only happen to have three mosin nagant rifles, one a russian sniper, the other a carbine and the 3rd is the model 39 from Sako
    some questions:
    can you date a mosin orignal action by serial number?
    did the Finns purposely put the serial number on the barrel? (my 39 has perfect stamp, and deep stamping of serial number on barrel right above is the Sako 'S' and underneath is 1942 where the russian serial number looks almost crudelyt stamped on the receiver) Can not even compare the serial number stamping the receiver is crude, misaligned, and the serial number on receiver is deeply stamped and perfect, same number
    Last edited by pelago; 02-11-2014 at 01:41.